Notices

noisy power steering

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2002, 04:00 PM
wightey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is it just me or does anyone elses power steering get quite noisy now and then when the cars warmed up. it doesnt do it when its cold but once its hot it sometimes goes really loud. fluid levels are ok, i am hoping he pumps not on its way out.
Old 20 June 2002, 04:26 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Yeah my my99 started to do this after about 2 years 30000, and after being driven hard for a while. Began to get louder, and you could feel a difference in the steering when it was loud (ie heavier). Dealer said it was on its way out as all levels were ok!!
Didnt bother changing it as new i was selling it.
Old 20 June 2002, 04:37 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Pre 97 cars are most prone to this. The fluid boils and the noise is the bubbles in the fluid, as they go through the pump.

Its not hard to fit a PS fluid cooler and it cures it for everything bar the most extreme driving.
Old 20 June 2002, 04:47 PM
wightey
Scooby Regular

mines is a 94 import and the reservoir thing gets damn hot. the noise is worse if ive been driving hard or sitting still and then eases off back to normal once i get under way. i guess this could go in with what you are saying re boiling. do you know where i can get a cooler for it etc.
thanks for all the help. i hope its this and not the pump giving up the ghost.
Old 20 June 2002, 04:59 PM
RT
Scooby Regular

Even if the fluid looks full, top it up just a little more. Usually solves the problem.

Try it, cost next to nothing!
Old 21 June 2002, 10:30 AM
dela
Scooby Regular

Try using a fluid with a higher boiling point aswell, I seem to remember Castrol Dextron III is the stuff. (About a fiver from Halfords)

dela
Old 22 June 2002, 01:07 PM
wightey
Scooby Regular

thanks for all the replies,
got some fluid from halfords and toppped up the reservoir, even though it was registering full, a bit more went in without changing the level. added a little more on top of this and its quite as a mouse now.
will still attempt to fit a cooler though as it cant be good for it being so hot. it will give me somethign to do with the lighter nights lol.
thanks again guys.

Old 22 June 2002, 10:30 PM
millband
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

What sort of noise were you getting? Was it a whining noise? Would you mind having a look at this post of mine - http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadid=107486 - and see if it rings any bells? Just wondering if I have the same problem.

Cheers!

Steve
Old 23 June 2002, 01:07 AM
Wanna'B'
Scooby Newbie

Alrighty Whitey,

Still worried about the power steering noise ?!
Dont talk to me about power steering!!
I eventually had to take the rack out of me beast, took around 5 Hrs, skinned knuckles, stained driveway headache and 1 annoyed girlfriend.
Mind you that last one is your fault because you car has sowed the 'purchase scooby' seeds in my mind.
Im aiming for end August to get a bigger beast. Although the insurance quotes have left me a bit tearful !!
Im needing more info on the different models as im still undecided on the best option. E-mail me some more info on yours would ya.
Is it the standard STi (Jap) What year was it again ??
And aslo whats the link your music setup again ??
Old 23 June 2002, 12:45 PM
wightey
Scooby Regular

millband,
i had a read at your post and my problem sounds a little bit similar although the noise was more related to turning the steering wheel than specifically to engine speed suffice to say that when i was going slow was when it really made a noise, almost like an electric motor thats jammed or something and it didnt make it when it was cold. it was most noticeable when i was parking etc though
anyway, i got some better fluid and added it to the power steering reservoir. even though it was registering full, quite a bit went in without really changing the overall level. added some more in on top of this and all is well. no noise at all now except the usual power steering noise. good luck.

wannaB, YHM.
Old 23 June 2002, 04:03 PM
millband
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers, I'm getting some fluid tomorrow to try.

S.
Old 26 June 2002, 07:36 AM
CRAFT
Scooby Regular

Talking

Wightey/Millband, hope you've sorted the probs, if not, drop us a line, as I'm a bit experienced in this field

CRAFT
Old 26 June 2002, 08:58 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Wrighty

Just topping with some Dextron III won't really do much.

Pull the return pipe off the reservoir and cable tie it into a carrier bag. Start the engine and turn the wheel lock to lock a couple of times.

This will empty the old fluid.

Then refill with the new fluid, again turning lock to lock. It will take about 10 minutes to bleed all the new fluid through and it will be very noisy at first.

Don't overfill it, or it will just come out of the reservoir cap and make a lovely pink mess everywhere.
Old 26 June 2002, 10:28 AM
wightey
Scooby Regular

thanks for keeping the replies coming. obviously its quite a common problem. my steering is as noise free as power steering can be now. i slightly overfilled it with better power steering fluid. i know the amount of new fluid added wont make any difference to the heat properties of the fluid in the system but it is much quieter none the less.
although the reservoir was registering full, it took about 100 ml of fluid before it started to raise the level above this full mark. it would pour in and then settle still at the same level so obviously there was room for some more in there despite what the dipstick was saying. it is now sitting just above the full line but not high enough to make a nice mess and running perfectly. i am still unhappy about the heat it generates though and so am going to take petes advice and put in an oil cooler along with swapping out the fluid for some new stuff with better properties.
thanks for giving me the lowdown on how to drain the system, it will come in handy and save a messy garage. i wasnt exactly sure how to best go about it.
anyone know a good cooler to use, will just a small engine oil cooler do the job? thanks guys