Notices

Hard /High clutch pedal

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2022, 09:11 AM
welder029
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Hard /High clutch pedal

So after the car had sat for 10 years fitted a new exedy pink box clutch ,skimmed flywheel , new clutch fluid ,bleed the clutch , did a 100 od miles clutch feels like it's getting smoother pulling away but the pedal is quite hard more than I remember it being also the bitting point is high , what do I try replace first the slave or the master cylinder ? Any idea what 1 is more likely to go , it's an 02 bugeye STI cheers
Old 28 March 2022, 11:21 AM
Filski
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by welder029
So after the car had sat for 10 years fitted a new exedy pink box clutch ,skimmed flywheel , new clutch fluid ,bleed the clutch , did a 100 od miles clutch feels like it's getting smoother pulling away but the pedal is quite hard more than I remember it being also the bitting point is high , what do I try replace first the slave or the master cylinder ? Any idea what 1 is more likely to go , it's an 02 bugeye STI cheers
Who did the clutch replacement you or the garage?

When i did mine i had something similar on my bug, keeping in mind it was first one i ever did.... my issue was that, i think, i did not locate the clutch fork into the release bearing correctly, it all still worked fine for good few hundred miles, although it did feel completely different to what i was used to in relation to biting point etc. could be something similar! What happened with me in the end was that the fork somehow pulled out the release bearing out of the pressure plate (as i was 100 miles away visit my parents at the time) and i think in that process the fork has finally put itself in situ as it should have (although i had a horrible feeling that i have now been stuffed), I have then thought i have a good feel around and got my hand in there to slam the fork back into the pressure plate, luckily it worked like it should have and biting point and pedal feel went back to how it was..

good luck
Old 28 March 2022, 12:35 PM
welder029
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Filski
Who did the clutch replacement you or the garage?

When i did mine i had something similar on my bug, keeping in mind it was first one i ever did.... my issue was that, i think, i did not locate the clutch fork into the release bearing correctly, it all still worked fine for good few hundred miles, although it did feel completely different to what i was used to in relation to biting point etc. could be something similar! What happened with me in the end was that the fork somehow pulled out the release bearing out of the pressure plate (as i was 100 miles away visit my parents at the time) and i think in that process the fork has finally put itself in situ as it should have (although i had a horrible feeling that i have now been stuffed), I have then thought i have a good feel around and got my hand in there to slam the fork back into the pressure plate, luckily it worked like it should have and biting point and pedal feel went back to how it was..

good luck
Did it with the help of a mechanic ,the fork is definitely in the release bearing ,and the bearing into the pressure plate , how can the fork come loose ? The pin going through the gearbox holds it in place ? Have seen people not attach it probably then fit the box and find out it won't engage but never had the fork come off after it's been driving a few hundred miles, ano once it beds in it definitely starts to feel better ,no sure what happened in your case
Old 28 March 2022, 02:52 PM
Filski
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by welder029
Did it with the help of a mechanic ,the fork is definitely in the release bearing ,and the bearing into the pressure plate , how can the fork come loose ? The pin going through the gearbox holds it in place ? Have seen people not attach it probably then fit the box and find out it won't engage but never had the fork come off after it's been driving a few hundred miles, ano once it beds in it definitely starts to feel better ,no sure what happened in your case
In my case it was not fork coming lose in the baring but somehow the bearing slipped out from the pressure plate, I do not know how as I never took it apart but just slammed it back in, but it just the way you explained the pedal feel definitely reminded me of that.