Notices

93' GC8 Running Poorly

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2022, 06:47 AM
Infrared
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93' GC8 Running Poorly

New to this forum, hoping to get some help.

Starting a few weeks ago, I was just arriving to work (2 minute drive) when I lost most of my power and It started running poorly. Driving back from work, It was idling poorly and RPM's wouldn't go past 2k. At the time, I was getting a fault code 32 (MAF Sensor) and noticed that my rear O2 sensor wasn't plugged in. I plugged it in and cleaned the MAF sensor but it didn't change anything. I took It in to a car hobby shop to take a look at it and found that 3 of the 4 spark plugs were covered in carbon. I cleaned them off with a plastic brush and reinstalled them and it ran a little better driving back home with no error codes. Next day when I tried driving, it started running poorly again but this time I had a fault code 23 (O2 sensor) with white smoke coming from the engine bay (I suspect the headers) and the exhaust (burning oil?). I haven't done anything since but I started doing research and came across the possibility that its running rich which would explain the spark plugs and the fault code 23.

With my current knowledge, I am considering replacing my spark plugs and O2 sensor but I'm uncertain if that's actually my issue due to the smoke.

Symptoms:

Engine sputtering at 2k RPM

Poor Idle

White smoke coming from the headers and exhaust

Fault code 23

Possibly burning oil
Old 22 January 2022, 08:48 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Could be a few things but I would start with the spark plugs and O2 sensor. But make sure you use genuine items. Idle air control valve, coil pack and fuel pump is what I would check next.If you feel like its burning oil then check your PCV valve.