EJ205 Turbo - Timing Belit Kit Instructions

Search this Thread

Old 06 November 2021, 05:49 AM
Hauntednsk
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Question EJ205 Turbo - Timing Belit Kit Instructions

Guys,

Could you please share written instructions\manual on Timing Belt Kit replacement on EJ205 Turbo engine? Belt, bearings, pump.

Thank you.
Old 09 November 2021, 05:55 PM
Hauntednsk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by haily spencer
available on blingstrom .com
Thank you. I've found it:
https://www.blingstrom.com/diy-proje...ng-one-another

It shows timing kit replacement on ej25, but it should be similar to ej20.
Old 12 November 2021, 04:16 PM
Paulgeorge01
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Hauntednsk
Guys,

Could you please share written instructions\manual on Timing Belt Kit replacement on EJ205 Turbo engine? Belt, bearings, pump.

Thank you.
Hi Hauntednsk,

In the 22 years I have owned and driven Subaru’s I have changed the belts on EJ205, EJ207, EJ255 and EJ257. The procedure is basically the same. The only real difference is that the slightly newer models have variable valve timing so you have to remove a cover from the camshaft to gain access to the 10 mm allen bolt.

In the early days of working on Subaru’s I used to always type up a Microsoft word how to document as I did the job. This served as a good reminder especially with jobs like timing belts due to the long periods between changes. I have just changed the timing belt on my 2006 WRX Hawkeye as I was in there anyway checking the woodruff key between the crankshaft and crankshaft pulley – so thought it would be rude not to. Just prior to this job my brother asked me for some info on changing a belt. I typed up a quick how to whilst doing the job on my WRX. I also added some info from previous timing belt jobs. Here is a brief procedure I wrote whilst doing the job in my garage, with the car on ramps, and with the engine installed. Some of the points is relevant to me and my set up, but hopefully it will give you a little bit of extra info to help you with the job as doing it for the first time can be a little bit daunting. I have converted this from word to PDF – refer to the attached link for your information. Hope it helps. I will also give you a copy of the official Subaru information – refer to links. Hopefully this information along with the information haily spencer kindly provided should sort you out. Remember on completion of the job to take a quiet moment to yourself, if only to second guess yourself - if only for a moment ! Before you start the car for the first time .

P.S. For the record. Just in case any other members are looking at the information contained within the blingstrom.com document that haily spencer kindly provided. I don’t agree with the timing belt change interval. It is too long. On the older models (1999 UK classic turbo) the Subaru service booklet states every 3 years or 45,000 miles which I think is slightly cautious.

The newer post 2006 Hawkeyes, the Subaru service booklet states every 5 years or 60,000 miles.

Also the information provided for collapsing the hydraulic tension is wrong. You should never collapse it laterally like that in a vice, you need to collapse it whilst in a vertical position – refer to info i have attached in the official procedure document which explains the correct way to do the job .This is obviously not applicable to you as you are changing yours anyway, but good to know none the less. You can’t be too careful when dealing with timing belt changes.
Again good luck with the job. If you are struggling with something or need a bit of advice. Feel free to give me a quick call on UK mobile: 07788 790598. I am always happy to help a fellow Subaru enthusiast, I also remember what I was like the first time I did this job . Remember the time difference .
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Paul Smith My Procedure.pdf (649.9 KB, 0 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by Paulgeorge01:
Old 12 November 2021, 06:55 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 753 Likes on 624 Posts

As the OP is from Winipeg, here are the maintenance schedules for US and Canadian MY07 2.5L Foresters

and seeing as the Cross Sport is a 2.0L the MY05 Impreza US/CA periodic maintenance schedule.

You may find a slight different in the Cam belt replacement periods for North America and Europe.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf

Last edited by Don Clark; 12 November 2021 at 07:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 13 November 2021, 08:39 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 381 Likes on 303 Posts

as a general rule we always advise 60K miles or 5years - which ever comes first..........
Old 14 November 2021, 11:26 PM
Hauntednsk
Scooby Regular

@Paulgeorge01 @Don Clark THANK YOU very much for such detailed and useful information you shared! I am sure it will be useful for this forum other members.
Old 14 November 2021, 11:49 PM
Paulgeorge01
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You are more than welcome sir, hope the job goes well