Replacing fuel hard line

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2021, 08:23 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Replacing fuel hard line

In the process of grinding bits of cage off, I appear to have nicked the fuel feed pipe with the grinder.

it’s not leaking, but I don’t trust it to not leak in years to come (or if I had an accident etc), so I want to do something about it.

it looks like a monumental pain to replace the complete line, because it looks as if the tank has to be dropped down.

I wonder if it would be easier / safe to either:

1. run a new braided fuel line on the outside of the car from the pump to the fuel filter , thus avoiding having any high pressure fuel lines in the car (but potentially exposing it to danger from outside)

2. replace a short section of the pipe with Teflon lined braided hose. Problem here would be to how to make the swaged ends on the pipe

3. solder a sleeve of some sort in place over the nick (maybe even without cutting the pipe at all).

any thoughts appreciated.
Old 23 February 2021, 09:55 PM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

From memory (it was 6 or 7 years ago I last did it) the fuel tank isn't actually much of a pain to drop down; unbolt the driveshaft and then the two bolts holding the tank straps in place. Obviously a lot easier if the tank's reasonably light on fuel but even then it should be doable. I'd be wary of soldering the pipe as it could easily still ignite any fuel vapour in the pipe, but maybe that's just me being over cautious.
Old 24 February 2021, 01:17 PM
RockyRoad
Scooby Regular

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

You don’t need to drop the tank. There’s a join near where the pipe goes through into the car.
Old 24 February 2021, 07:47 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by RockyRoad
You don’t need to drop the tank. There’s a join near where the pipe goes through into the car.
awesome news!!

I think I have managed to identify the part too:

https://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru__/...11-420-01.html

part number 42063FE000

amayama in Japan appear to have it for 88 GBP.. best sit down when I call the dealer tomorrow