RCM GT Spec header issue before ceramic coating

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2020, 07:13 PM
B4RKO
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCM GT Spec header issue before ceramic coating

Hello troops,

Hope some of you guys have been down this route before and can shed some light before I spend a small fortune on what maybe a waste of time and effort.

I have a set of RCM GT Spec headers and they have had the usual hairline cracks form around the slip joints due to them being seized I'm gathering.
The issue im having though, is I have had them repaired (welded) and i have dressed them up best I can, so the welds/repairs are still strong enough and now not cracked, but so they can also slide back in2 each other aswell with a wee tap with a rubber mallet.
They do line up and I have test fitted them to the engine which is still on the engine stand, and they fit perfect and bolt down.

The worrying thing though is I want them ceramic coated by zircotec now they are repaired, but I'm worried that even if I get the headers ceramic coated, and coz I have had them repaired, that they will eventually crack again even with the new coating.

Has anybody out there done this ceramic coating before with repaired headers and had no issues. the reason I am asking is, I wonder if I am aswell as to cut my losses with the repaired headers and just buy a new set of RCM GT Spec headers and get them ceramic coated instead. as if these repaired headers fail again iv just wasted alot of money on havin them coated, when I will have to do it again with a new set.

Any info will be much appreciated.

I shall attach some pics to show what the repairs look like now they have been dressed as best I can and ready for sending to zircotec

Kind regards Steve

​​​​​​
Old 23 October 2020, 07:19 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Received 670 Likes on 519 Posts

Did you buy them brand new mate? If so how long ago?
Old 23 October 2020, 07:30 PM
B4RKO
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No I didn't buy them brand new unfortunately, got them second hand, but they had hairline cracks in the slip joints. so a bit concerned in ceramic coating these incase I'm just gona waste money... as its no cheap, esp doin it twice