Notices

Vf36 turbo failure due to oil starvation.

Search this Thread

Old 19 September 2020, 11:53 AM
Cheddabreeze84
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Vf36 turbo failure due to oil starvation.

Hi,
Managed to get my turbo to Midland turbo in Nottingham and on inspection they have informed me that the turbo has failed due to oil starvation,

The car is stuck on my drive and no one wants to take the work on so I'll be installing the rebuilt turbo myself,

But first I need to find out why it happened and rectify the issue so I don't blow this rebuilt turbo up straight away,

can you helpful people help me put a list of things together that will need addressing before i install the new turbo,

I was going to buy new braided oil lines and I've heard that there is a filter in one of the banjo bolts that needs cleaning or removing altogether,

also was gonna drop the oil and filter, take the sump off and check the oil pickup and clean that out,

would I need to change the oil pump too or is there a way I can check oil pressure before splashing out on a new oil pump or would it be good practice to change it anyway?

Please, please if there is anyone who can add to this list to make sure I've covered everything is greatly appreciated.

Old 19 September 2020, 01:48 PM
Turbovin
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Before the first start, remove the crankshaft position sensor or similar making sure that it won't get any fuel and start. Put the turbo oil feed line into a bottle so that you can see that there's a good flow of oil while cranking.
The following users liked this post:
Old 19 September 2020, 04:38 PM
Cheddabreeze84
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbovin
Before the first start, remove the crankshaft position sensor or similar making sure that it won't get any fuel and start. Put the turbo oil feed line into a bottle so that you can see that there's a good flow of oil while cranking.
great! Thanks mate I'llcertainly make sure that's done, cheers.

do you know a good mechanic in Birmingham who would take this work on?
I'm confident enough myself but would prefer it done by a **** hot mechanic if I can
Old 19 September 2020, 04:52 PM
Turbovin
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheddabreeze84
great! Thanks mate I'llcertainly make sure that's done, cheers.

do you know a good mechanic in Birmingham who would take this work on?
I'm confident enough myself but would prefer it done by a **** hot mechanic if I can
No sorry, I'm from Sweden so I really don't know, but I'm sure someone else here can recommend a good mechanic.
Old 01 October 2020, 01:16 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a restrictor in the feed oil line to the turbo. I suppose this could be blocked? Without the restrictor, the turbo bearings will get too much oil and overwhelm the seals, so don't leave it out.

If the rest of the engine had oil starvation due to pump or pick up then the rest of the engine would have gone pop first, so I doubt it's those components.