Notices

Weeping coolant pipe beneath the intercooler woes

Search this Thread

Old 25 July 2020, 09:57 PM
anthonymcgrath
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Weeping coolant pipe beneath the intercooler woes

Hey guys so I went to do a simple job today.. replace the 72mm pipe on the intercooler.. instead I ended up discovering some issues. The main one is this coolant pipe that connects onto the upper coolant pipe is clearly weeping coolant.

now I stuck sealant on it before fitting it and screwing it in firmly.. but sadly it looks like some heat cycles have caused the sealant to break down.. the sealant I used wasnt anything special i don't think.. so can any one tell me what kind of sealant will stop this leaking? Is there a special sealant that's more hard wearing?

ta
ant

Old 25 July 2020, 10:05 PM
MrRtm
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Just replace it, do it quick and you won't lose much coolant or need to bleed the system, bet MB in the breakers sections will be able to provide it (or them, there's two next to each other iirc, might as well do both) decent ones for a tenner

Edit: in fact is that the metal part of the pipe? Might be a bit more expensive but would still replace it, you don't want sealant getting into the coolant system anyway

Last edited by MrRtm; 25 July 2020 at 10:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 25 July 2020, 10:07 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 279 Likes on 249 Posts

Remove clean off rust a decent clip and replace no sealant needed.
The following users liked this post:
Old 25 July 2020, 10:16 PM
anthonymcgrath
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 1509joe
Remove clean off rust a decent clip and replace no sealant needed.
there was never a clip on it.. my finger is pointing to the upper part of the pipe but it's the lower part where you can see it's leaking. That pipe is just held in with a 10mm screw.

I rebuilt the engine start of year.. I removed the pipe and cleaned the rust off.. then fitted it and didn't use sealant ...soon as I fired up it leaked from that point.
I took it out.. put sealant on and it stopped the leak but I think the sealant has broke down now over time.
Old 25 July 2020, 10:22 PM
anthonymcgrath
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrRtm
Just replace it, do it quick and you won't lose much coolant or need to bleed the system, bet MB in the breakers sections will be able to provide it (or them, there's two next to each other iirc, might as well do both) decent ones for a tenner

Edit: in fact is that the metal part of the pipe? Might be a bit more expensive but would still replace it, you don't want sealant getting into the coolant system anyway
Cheers. The actual pipe is in decent condition.. I'm pointing to the upper part of the metal pipe.. but it's the lower part that slots in then is held with a 10mm screw. All the other metal water pipes have been replaced as I got them all off ICP.. this one doesn't seem available.

When I fitted that pipe without sealant it immediately leaked. So I pulled it and put sealant on the edge and put it back. It didn't leak but I think the sealant was crappy.

I'm gonna try some nissan red gasket sealant... if I needed the pipe new I can't get it on its own..

in the diagram below you can see how the red coolant pipe is two parts.. a bigger lumpy part and this secondary pipe that I'm having probs with. This part below is 180quid :/

Last edited by anthonymcgrath; 25 July 2020 at 10:28 PM.
Old 26 July 2020, 09:19 AM
MrRtm
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

I would speak to Matt @ MB on here, he should be able to provide it, maybe even for the same cost of sealant, he's a breaker so he has every part you can imagine and his prices are decent
The following 2 users liked this post by MrRtm:
Old 26 July 2020, 11:06 AM
anthonymcgrath
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrRtm
I would speak to Matt @ MB on here, he should be able to provide it, maybe even for the same cost of sealant, he's a breaker so he has every part you can imagine and his prices are decent
I will give him a shout. I think he sells 6 speed boxes too 😁😁😁 obvs once I know this thing isn't leaking then I'll be looking into that hehe