Notices

TGV Delete...DIYers?

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2020, 05:36 PM
LeonWRXL
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default TGV Delete...DIYers?

I’ve been advised to remove my TGVs to allow me to have two maps, launch control and so on.

Ive no issue getting them off and could just remove the butterfly and leave the rest and refit but thought if I’ve got to remove it all I may as well go all out and remove the motors, rod and other parts.

so are there any people who exchange these for fully ported/polished ones with the rod hole welded up?

Old 19 May 2020, 09:26 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

If you remove the steppers and disconnect the rod, you will get an instant CEL, but that's possible to turn off at mapping time.

You can fairly easily do this mod yourself, however. Basically pull the rod out, and tap the holes to m8 and (maybe) M10 on the other side.

The inside can be ported out using a Dremel and a hacksaw blade (to cut the flat section). A die grinder will make the job a lot quicker if you've got one of them (not expensive - mine was less than 30 pounds off Amazon, and I've ported (or at least modified) the TGVs and also my exhaust manifold using it (plus a myriad of other things).
Old 19 May 2020, 09:29 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Some pics here https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...l#post12063780
Old 19 May 2020, 10:32 PM
LeonWRXL
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just had a look, decent build thread

do you know If it’s possible to remove the butterfly’s without separating from the main part of inlet manifold? Basically do it with it all one complete unit to avoid needing new gaskets
Old 20 May 2020, 06:50 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I seem to recall the butterfly is held in with a bolt and nut, so maybe it is possible, however I'd expect it to be extremely fiddly, and in all likelihood the bolt will end up spinning with the nut. No harm in trying, though