Notices

Overheating issues, Classic Impreza Help

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2020, 01:54 PM
ChemicallyProven
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating issues, Classic Impreza Help

Hi guys, hope you are safe in the current health crisis.

Soooo, I have a 1997 Impreza Turbo 2000 with some overheating issues.

Was on a routine sunday drive when the temp started increasing and the heaters blew cold, once I rev the engine slightly the heaters blow hot and the engine temp drops which confused me, so I turned off waited for an hour, then opened header tank which was empty and the expansion tank was full, looked under the car and there was a pool of coolant directly under the passenger side.

filled with coolant and drove home, en route the same thing happened when driving out of boost threshold there is no issues, once entered boost and come to a stop the temp will increase and heaters go cold, rev engine the heaters blow hot again and engine temp decreases.

Car has had thermostat and coolant changed 1000 miles ago.

I have read many threads but none have had exact issues I'm having, if this is a HG issues what is recommended on a Classic just a HG or a rebuild.

Help me..... HELP me... ScoobyGurus!!!!!!

A big thank you in advance, next time a subaru flashes me I will flash back and not ask my wife "do you know him"? Haha
Old 08 May 2020, 06:12 PM
Shane
Scooby Regular

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Need to see where the coolant was coming from, could be a hose or the radiator, not usually dripping coolant with a head gasket.
Old 08 May 2020, 07:16 PM
ChemicallyProven
Scooby Newbie

I'm sure the copland was coming from the overflow tank, what I really an clueless about is the heaters blowing hot again when revving the engine,
Also top hose hot bottom cold, but when revving the car at standstill the bottom hose will then get hot...
Old 10 May 2020, 04:34 PM
Chan HT
Scooby Regular

One of my heater coolant hose had a leak (slow) and these 2 hoses are located under the intercooler at the passenger side. Found this hose leaking due to coolant getting low from expansion tank every week when I check the fluid.
Old 12 May 2020, 10:53 AM
nicam49
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Hi, how did you get on with your problem? I had to change the expansion tank as it had a crack in the bottom, also engine was overheating and loosing coolant, which I think is hg problem. I notice that Subaru did a coolant additive to overcome the hg delamination problems, and I think it's that steel seal (boron) stuff. btw, car is a classic wagon, non-turbo. MY1999 can't be many more out there what with the rear turret rot issues, which I caught just in time.
Update: despite Scooby having sat on the drive SORNed for the last 2 years, yesterday I changed the sparkplugs, cleaned up the engine bay a bit, and took it for an mot (got one-day insurance) result....passed!! I'm still in shock.
That coolant additive to 'fix' the delaminating head gaskets problem is Subaru part SOA635071
From reading posts on the interweb, it's actually Holts Radweld.

Last edited by nicam49; 13 May 2020 at 02:43 PM. Reason: additional info