Notices

Fault code reader needed

Search this Thread

Old 28 August 2019, 06:24 PM
John 37
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Fault code reader needed

Hi all. I'm hoping for advice before buying a code reader. My 08 hatch STI has started giving warning lights. The CEL comes on orange, the cruise flashes, the abs and esc are on and the driver control flashes S mode and won't change. In other words, my dash lights up like it's Christmas. The fault comes and goes. ISTR having similar before that was where a mouse had chewed the wire to NSF wheel speed sensor a few years ago. I've checked the repair I did and all seems OK.
2 questions
Any idea what's wrong?
My obd reader only shows engine codes. I would like a more comprehensive one but I'm baffled by what's available and the jargon.
As an aside, my reader shows a code "LH bank lean". I will look at that later but some advice would also be appreciated.
Sorry for unloading so many requests. Hoping you guys can help.
Thanks
Old 28 August 2019, 07:03 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

I believe you are basically in "Limp Mode" You need to clear any codes listed.

The only "Lean" engine code is P0171 System Too Lean (Bank 1) which has the same diagnostics as P0172 System too Rich (Bank1)

MY08- P0171/0172 diagnostics pdf

MY08 onwards have Diagnostic Trouble Codes for the following systems

Engine
Manual transmission and Diff
Vehicle Dynamics Control
Airbag system
Cruise control
LAN system
and if fitted
Keyless Access with Push button start

So a very comprehensive reader (module type) would be needed to cover all.
Old 29 August 2019, 09:47 AM
4evascoob
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I had very similar in my16 sti, and engine wouldn't start, brought a fairly cheap code reader obd2 which directed me to a sensor (cam position) closer inspection showed sensor chewed off level at wiring, oil pressure also chewed and a vacuum hose a tee piece eaten completely!! Reader would turn faults off but immediately came back on because of issue. Quite an easy fix. Sounds to me like the rodents have been in again.
Old 29 August 2019, 12:18 PM
John 37
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Update
I've checked my previous repair to front LH wheel sensor and it looks fine. I sprayed the plug with WD40, cleared all codes and it seems to have cured it. The wiring to all the other sensors looks fine too. However, the fault has done this before. It goes away only to return later. That's why I suspect a broken wire. I've only done about 30 miles but time will tell.
There's no evidence of rodents. Last time the car sat on my drive for about 2 weeks so they had time to move in. I now keep it in a mouse proof workshop whenever possible.
I would still like to get a more comprehensive code reader, just not one that costs £'000 like the Snap- on one that my local garage uses.

Last edited by John 37; 29 August 2019 at 12:20 PM.
Old 29 August 2019, 01:51 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon