Notices

One spark plug black

Search this Thread

Old 25 July 2019, 01:39 PM
Turbovin
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Default One spark plug black

I removed my spark plugs yesterday and noticed that the spark plug on cyl #1 is black and sooty. The rest of the plugs are almost looking like the cylinders are running too lean. The compression test is fairly even but there is a 8,6% difference between cyl #1 and #3. I don't have a leak down tester but maybe I will have to look into it.

The injectors are top feed Injector Dynamics 1000cc, about 1000 km's on them, and on the engine as well since rebuild. I'm sending the injectors in to have them flow tested but I doubt there should be any issue with such low mileage on them and I believe they come flow matched from Injector Dynamics when new. I'm running aftermarket fuel rails in series like stock for now, Fuelab FPR.

It's a 2.1 stroker with AVCS heads in a classic. Original version 5 intake manifold but with 20mm spacers to clear the AVCS solenoids, adapters to run the top feed injectors instead of side feed. Link G4+ ecu with slightly hunting idle, maybe a mapping issue. It also didn't make the power to expect from it but it's sort of a safe map. But I'm thinking there are some mechanical issues with this engine, at least that uneven fueling can't be good.

It's also leaking a little from the cam seals, the engine sat in my garage for a long time before I finished the build. So I don't know if these seals dry when unused or if it's a sign of too much blow by.

I've decided to fit the newage one piece JDM STI intake manifold instead with some changes to the wiring and to have the injectors flow tested. Then we'll see if there's a change.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Turbovin; 25 July 2019 at 01:40 PM.
Old 27 July 2019, 12:16 PM
Marky1968
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by Turbovin
I removed my spark plugs yesterday and noticed that the spark plug on cyl #1 is black and sooty. The rest of the plugs are almost looking like the cylinders are running too lean. The compression test is fairly even but there is a 8,6% difference between cyl #1 and #3. I don't have a leak down tester but maybe I will have to look into it.

The injectors are top feed Injector Dynamics 1000cc, about 1000 km's on them, and on the engine as well since rebuild. I'm sending the injectors in to have them flow tested but I doubt there should be any issue with such low mileage on them and I believe they come flow matched from Injector Dynamics when new. I'm running aftermarket fuel rails in series like stock for now, Fuelab FPR.

It's a 2.1 stroker with AVCS heads in a classic. Original version 5 intake manifold but with 20mm spacers to clear the AVCS solenoids, adapters to run the top feed injectors instead of side feed. Link G4+ ecu with slightly hunting idle, maybe a mapping issue. It also didn't make the power to expect from it but it's sort of a safe map. But I'm thinking there are some mechanical issues with this engine, at least that uneven fueling can't be good.

It's also leaking a little from the cam seals, the engine sat in my garage for a long time before I finished the build. So I don't know if these seals dry when unused or if it's a sign of too much blow by.

I've decided to fit the newage one piece JDM STI intake manifold instead with some changes to the wiring and to have the injectors flow tested. Then we'll see if there's a change.

Any ideas?
Is there any black smoke from the exhaust, and has your engine been rebuilt?

I think it might be a poor remap, as my car was running very lean, and it wasn't making the power it should of been, my car seems okay now since the revised map.

Hope you get your issue sorted, I think its quite a common problem with Subaru's running rich if your car has been modded.
Old 27 July 2019, 01:26 PM
Turbovin
Scooby Regular

The tail pipe is quite black but perhaps normal running a decat downpipe. No signs of burning oil through the exhaust as far as I know.

The engine has been rebuilt yes.

The map isn't perfect but the biggest issue is that the fueling isn't even between the cylinders. I removed the exhaust manifold yesterday (JDM twin scroll) and it's obvious looking into the runners that cyl #1 is running rich and the others lean. I haven't heard any obvious detonation knocking but this doesn't look too good.

I have sent away my ID1000 injectors for a flow test so I hope there's something obvious there. As I said I chose to run the fuel lines (aftermarket rails + Fuelab FPR) in the factory classic series order but that wouldn't explain why cyl #1 which is the third in order to be the richest.

The stock intake manifold is off and I'm waiting for my newage JDM STI intake manifold. So I'll probably try to make the fuel lines parallel this time but that shouldn't cause this.
Old 27 July 2019, 04:56 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

check the wiring to the injector that is running rich as i had one of my running rich because of the wiring been split at the injector end
Old 27 July 2019, 05:23 PM
Turbovin
Scooby Regular

Thanks will do that.
Old 28 July 2019, 08:41 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

I had a hunting idle recently, turned out a plug was loose; it was covered in black soot, as was the area around it. I had no other symptoms.
Old 25 June 2020, 01:59 AM
Turbovin
Scooby Regular

I finally found the problem.

This speedo converter/delimiter was connected to the ecu speed signal wire. Also the 12v feed had been tapped in to the injector #1 wire at the ecu end. Obviously my Link G4+ ecu didn't like that at all. I wish I had removed this box a long time ago instead of mostly looking at issues at the engine. But at least the motivation for keeping the car is back.

Last edited by Turbovin; 25 June 2020 at 02:03 AM.