Notices

What sort of spec are people using for 600bhp these days?

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2019, 08:47 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What sort of spec are people using for 600bhp these days?

I'm considering selling one of my other cars and if I do, using the money on the classic. If I do, I'd like to build a decent engine for competition and track use. Things are always changing in the Scooby world so I'm interested in the sort of spec needed for a 600bhp build these days? Search results tend to bring things back from years ago. I want current info.

Reliability would be nice! Will a six speed DCCD box take 600bhp OK?
Old 27 February 2019, 06:31 PM
joe v3sti
Scooby Regular

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I hope the car your selling is worth a lot, because the road to 600bhp is very expensive, more so if your going to pay someone to build it for you. There's a big difference in a road going 600bhp and 600bhp that your going to track hard and compete in. Nevermind the chassis needed for a 600bhp track car,
im speaking from experience here. It's possible to go very fast for a lot less mate
Old 27 February 2019, 06:40 PM
joe v3sti
Scooby Regular

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

If your still planning on doing Harewood, there's all sorts you could do to make yours quicker at harewood Jay, some of which is "relatively" inexpensive. Happy to give some advice. Are you there this season
Old 27 February 2019, 09:01 PM
wrx2005
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to Facebook a wrx with a dump valve and a Rotherham scoobies/limitless performance remap
Old 28 February 2019, 12:42 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by wrx2005
According to Facebook a wrx with a dump valve and a Rotherham scoobies/limitless performance remap
lol
Old 28 February 2019, 03:23 PM
hackisfun
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another forum.member is selling a high spec engine. Not cheap but 600bhp+ is never going to be cheap

https://www.scoobynet.com/subaru-parts-451/1057886-ej22-2-35lt-high-spec-engine.html

Last edited by hackisfun; 28 February 2019 at 03:24 PM.
Old 28 February 2019, 08:58 PM
madwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the heads ,cams and valvegear with labour would probably cost £4k on their own on -avcs heads too, nice spec engine that--gets very expensive running subaru engines at race levels -any half decent car on slicks or semis should really have dry sump system too- race and championship winning scoobs with body, aero ,suspension ,engine, brake and cooling package s will top £50k and often much more without what it costs to get a car to a track and actually race
Old 28 February 2019, 09:40 PM
madwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sorry jay did,nt mean to put a downer on coverting your classic ,but if your starting from a mildly tuned standardish car your a long way from a reliable big power car- i run my 600 blobeye on the road and it copes quite well- a FRESH 6 speed will last very well assuming you can find a low mileage unit-mainly they just wear out that much quicker on track and may need cooling to stop the oil boiling up -shafts take a beating but better to break a £60 shaft than a £1000 rear diff -box rebuilds(6sp) seem to add up to around £2k without anything major needing doing.

i run a 2.1 which is a fairly low torque but still revvy ej engine- 600 is the absolute limit for standard cams-i run 272 cams with decent valves and avcs which all helps in a lardy newage just helps to open up the midrange and a bit of topend- i reckon to push mine into the 620+ range would require headwork and uprated fuelling to add a second 044 into the mix -a single 044 is at its limit before 600 no matter what you do with pressure,it just wont flow enough fuel-
i think the main problem is that whatever engine size you decide to run you will need to run 2 bar+ on any appropiate turbo, this puts a lot of strain on the head gaskets and leads to needing to "life" the engine with quite frequent strips to investigate bearing and gasket wear-
you will probably spend a lot more on the ancillaries than you will on the the bare engine-witth injectors the fuel system alone with decent lines will cost £2k -add on intercooling, and oil cooling, headers ,ecu,and most importantly decent brakes and suspension it all starts adding up jay-
Old 01 March 2019, 05:16 AM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joe v3sti
If your still planning on doing Harewood, there's all sorts you could do to make yours quicker at harewood Jay, some of which is "relatively" inexpensive. Happy to give some advice. Are you there this season
I don't know yet mate. I might not be back til next year. I certainly wont be back for a full season before 2021 so taking a bit of a long term view on this one. I'm currently working in Afghanistan for NATO these days so opportunities are limited whilst on this contract. I *might* make the April event as I'm home. I might make the July one. That's probably it for me this year.

I still have a load of bits to throw on the car as is, so need to do all that as well. Some brand new MonoPros, rear Brembos, ALK, roll centre kit, FPR, ESL etc. The biggest thing I want though is a quick rack. Made so much difference on the Blob. I only know of one for sale though and the guy thinks it's worth 500 quid. I don't!

Originally Posted by madwrx
sorry jay did,nt mean to put a downer on coverting your classic ,but if your starting from a mildly tuned standardish car your a long way from a reliable big power car- i run my 600 blobeye on the road and it copes quite well- a FRESH 6 speed will last very well assuming you can find a low mileage unit-mainly they just wear out that much quicker on track and may need cooling to stop the oil boiling up -shafts take a beating but better to break a £60 shaft than a £1000 rear diff -box rebuilds(6sp) seem to add up to around £2k without anything major needing doing.

i run a 2.1 which is a fairly low torque but still revvy ej engine- 600 is the absolute limit for standard cams-i run 272 cams with decent valves and avcs which all helps in a lardy newage just helps to open up the midrange and a bit of topend- i reckon to push mine into the 620+ range would require headwork and uprated fuelling to add a second 044 into the mix -a single 044 is at its limit before 600 no matter what you do with pressure,it just wont flow enough fuel-
i think the main problem is that whatever engine size you decide to run you will need to run 2 bar+ on any appropiate turbo, this puts a lot of strain on the head gaskets and leads to needing to "life" the engine with quite frequent strips to investigate bearing and gasket wear-
you will probably spend a lot more on the ancillaries than you will on the the bare engine-witth injectors the fuel system alone with decent lines will cost £2k -add on intercooling, and oil cooling, headers ,ecu,and most importantly decent brakes and suspension it all starts adding up jay-
No it's fine, I know it costs. I know it requires much more maintenance than a mildly tuned engine. It's more to help me figure out where I'm going long term with the car. I mean, once the six speed is in I could go through a lot of newage engines pushed close to 500bhp before getting near the cost of a good 600bhp engine build...

I can get an engine in and out myself so yeah... just weighing up options and trying to make the right decision really.

I'm also back on with my E36 M3 Evo build as I've finally found a rot free shell so I'm very busy and spending all of my money on cars again

Old 01 March 2019, 12:52 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

I believe vaughan fletchers car was up for sale if you want one ready to go, race/championship winning car. Proper weapon.