Notices

14 Month old fuel / How to drain it?

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2018, 07:11 PM
Sub-Subaru
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 14 Month old fuel / How to drain it?

It wasn't my plan to leave my car sitting for so long, but things didn't go to plan and it has now effectively not moved or started in 14 months. I am not sure how much fuel is in it while I write this, I think only about 1/3 of a tank.

Is it better to drain the fuel and put fresh fuel in it now that I want to get it going again and use it. I don't want to damage the engine for the sake of a little old fuel. Or will it be fine? Also if I should drain the fuel, what is the easiest way to do this?

2004 Impreza WRX.
Old 22 November 2018, 08:06 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

It's not just the fuel that could be the problem. If the tank is only a third full, there could be corrosion that has developed above the fuel level line.
Best way would be to remove the back seat base and remove both fuel pump/sender unit (RH side) and auxiliary sender unit (LHside) to inspect the tank and then pump both sides of the tank out using some form of pump.

From another thread on car storage
https://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp-co...gehandling.pdf

The thread here - https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...-required.html

vid from Sta-bil
Old 22 November 2018, 08:46 PM
Sub-Subaru
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I came across that post and had a quick look but didn't read the BP fact sheet. I also posted this thread because mine has sat a little longer. If I do what you say and access the tank and inspect. Will this be easy to do with a torch and naked eye or do I need some special eqiupment? Also if there is corrosion, what would be the options then? Would I have to replace the tank with a brand new tank?