Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Where would YOU go on hoiday with a 14 month old and a 3 month old?

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2008, 11:03 AM
Buster-WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where would YOU go on hoiday with a 14 month old and a 3 month old?

As per title....

Me and the mrs are really confused about where to go for a two week break
last two weeks in April. Especialy as the kids are so young -

Choices so far -

Eurocamp France.

Villa on the Algarve

Cottage in Wales

Buy a caravan!

Or not bother at all and wait untill next year until they are older.

Any experiences from wise old parents frequenting scoobynet much appreciated.....
By the way the eldest is walking.
Old 24 January 2008, 11:08 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Jesus !!!!!!

Talk about not giving your misses a rest. As soon as one popped out, you were back in.
Old 24 January 2008, 11:14 AM
Buster-WRX
Scooby Regular

I know not one of my better ideas!

Funny how she hasnt let me near her for about 6 months now
Old 24 January 2008, 11:40 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Stay in the UK!

Geezer
Old 24 January 2008, 11:45 AM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

SHarm EL sheikh. Much easier to look after kids on a resort and people in restaurants are very child friendly. When I went there the waiters and sometimes even the chefs would come out to play with the children while you eat so you can a get a bit of time to eat. I went to a place called the azkabash fish restaurant opposite naame bay entrance where the taxis drop you off. The staff were great, I picked the biggest seabass off the display and they gave me that and tons of other food that I thaught they were going to stich me up for and the bill was £25.00. All the waiters took turns to play with the baby so we ate in peace.
While there you can go go-carting, Quad rideing on a track, quad riding in the desert or hire a KTM to razz around the desert. You will need to take your own car seat though.
Old 24 January 2008, 12:49 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Buster-WRX
As per title....

Choices so far -

Eurocamp France.

Villa on the Algarve

Cottage in Wales

Buy a caravan!

Any experiences from wise old parents frequenting scoobynet much appreciated.....
You don't. I'm sorry but I don't go on holiday to hear kids screaming.
I wouldn't even dream of taking such young infants to an area where people want to relax!
Wait for them to grow up a bit, you'll enjoy it more then!
Old 24 January 2008, 12:59 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Personally I would stay at home and try and relax and enjoy the kids in their own environment. And try and move the break until June/July when they can splash around in a garden pool.

A cottage in Wales in April with two babies would shorten your life expectancy by a couple of years I would guess.

If you were wealthy you could go to the Algarve but take a nanny so you get a bit of a break as well.

Can you leave kids with granny or someone for a couple of days and take your Mrs off for a luxury hotel break for a long weekend?

Last edited by David Lock; 24 January 2008 at 01:03 PM.
Old 24 January 2008, 01:04 PM
girl-in-a-scoob
Scooby Regular

my two penneth ....

I have a two year old and a 14 yr old .....

Have taken both away when younger, took the 2year old to cyprus for christmas when she was one year old.

In my experience it would be a nightmare. One is a handful ... two outside of their own 'safe' environment would be no holiday for you or your wife. The only thing you could try is one of those places with a kids club but I dont like them and have never used them.

You yourself know how well behaved your kids would be away from their own home.

Me... this year my eldest will prbably end up going to Cyprus at some point with my parents and our holiday this year will probably be our club holiday to Isle of Man ... but I am taking 10 other members with me
Old 24 January 2008, 01:06 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

As per title....

Choices so far -

Eurocamp France.

Villa on the Algarve

Cottage in Wales

Buy a caravan!

Weather in the Algarve is great, and relatively calm, not to mention prices are normal.
Old 24 January 2008, 01:18 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Friends of mine went to the Algarve, little closed condo with a pool and a load of other like-minded and like-childed Brits. They did almost nothing except sit round the pool for a week and relax, befriended other parents (kids would start playing) and somehow took it in turns to keep an eye on each others children. Unfortunately, with yours being so young, a pool is perhaps not a good idea. And if you have anglo-saxon heritage, you'll probably spend all the time slapping suncream on them.

No-one's said it yet so I will - Algarve isn't getting great press among British parents at the mo

Southern Europe generally is based around nightlife, as we found when we took ours to Spain - the restaurants only opened after one of us had to stay in and babysit. Great place but needed better planning on our part.

Do NOT take them away somewhere where it's just you. The stress is More than staying at home as you still have to be with them all the time, just the environment is also unfamiliar. I don't know what Eurocamp is, but it sounds absolutely targeted at children and therefore a good choice, ie professionals there to look after them while you relax.

3 mths is really young though, not for the child but for you, there's still a lot of parental involvement at that stage and I don't know if you'll really relax during that time. Unless as said you have dedicated professional childcare that you can trust.

HTH In the last couple of years we've become experts at staying abroad in luxury hotels in great cities, ordering dinner as room service and sitting on the floor eating it by an ajar bathroom door as the bedroom light has to be off Our daughter's not yet two and she has about nine flags on her pushchair, including USA and Japan, it's usually a conversation starter!
Old 24 January 2008, 01:21 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Friends of mine went to the Algarve, little closed condo with a pool and a load of other like-minded and like-childed Brits. They did almost nothing except sit round the pool for a week and relax, befriended other parents (kids would start playing) and somehow took it in turns to keep an eye on each others children. Unfortunately, with yours being so young, a pool is perhaps not a good idea. And if you have anglo-saxon heritage, you'll probably spend all the time slapping suncream on them.

No-one's said it yet so I will - Algarve isn't getting great press among British parents at the mo

Southern Europe generally is based around nightlife, as we found when we took ours to Spain - the restaurants only opened after one of us had to stay in and babysit. Great place but needed better planning on our part.

Do NOT take them away somewhere where it's just you. The stress is More than staying at home as you still have to be with them all the time, just the environment is also unfamiliar. I don't know what Eurocamp is, but it sounds absolutely targeted at children and therefore a good choice, ie professionals there to look after them while you relax.

3 mths is really young though, not for the child but for you, there's still a lot of parental involvement at that stage and I don't know if you'll really relax during that time. Unless as said you have dedicated professional childcare that you can trust.

HTH In the last couple of years we've become experts at staying abroad in luxury hotels in great cities, ordering dinner as room service and sitting on the floor eating it by an ajar bathroom door as the bedroom light has to be off Our daughter's not yet two and she has about nine flags on her pushchair, including USA and Japan, it's usually a conversation starter!
No one has said SO I will: It is unpopular 'cause some muppets messed it up for everyone else!

Not going down that road.

Been going there for 30 years, never had a single problem, ever.
Old 24 January 2008, 02:23 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

We just got a cottage on the yorkshire coast last summer with our boy (he was 12 months at the time).

Was great, chilled out, nice garden. Couldn't have managed a holiday abroad, he won't sit still for 5 bloody minutes let alone 3 hours on a plane
Old 24 January 2008, 03:10 PM
Buster-WRX
Scooby Regular

I think the harsh reality is setting in....we should stay at home.

Some valid points to pick up on -

Flying with a child is not fun.

Pools and children dont mix!

It may be just as relaxing and a lot cheaper to stay at home in the garden!!!

And to anyone who thinks children should not be in a relaxing holiday environment for fear of upsetting childless holiday makers all I can say is....TUFF *******!!

I have had to put up with screaming kids on my holidays for the last 10 years no matter where I went, so now it is time for me to inflict some misery on the rest of the world with my two very own personal fog horns!!!
Old 24 January 2008, 03:23 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

You can go where ever you like if the kids go to Grandma's...

Went to Cyprus with my (then) 2 yr old... Never, I repeat, never again!!
Old 24 January 2008, 03:30 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Flying with a child is not fun.
My child has flown a hell of a lot and it's actually been one of the better parts of the holiday. Aside from take-off and landing, she spends a lot of time walking up and down the aisle smiling at passengers and seeing if she can get them to smile back. Sometimes she'll try to grab something of theirs. If they smile nicely I let her continue, if they look pissed off about it I take her away and apologise to them. We've had a lot of flights and not one major problem. The strange advantage of a plane is that she can walk around and you know someone can't grab her and run away.

Take-off and landing can be stressful and have been, but it's a baby FFS.

Key difference - we have one, so one parent can relax while the other babysits. You wouldn't have that.

Finally, if they get something like an ear infection just before they fly, you will have every parent's deepest sympathy, and probably every passenger's undivided attention - for better or worse
Old 24 January 2008, 04:06 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

We took our lad to Southwold for last years holiday as we could drive there and it was excellent - sea front apartment and a very nice break, he was 4 months old then.

This year we will try him abroad as he'll be nearly 18 months. Hoping to go to Puerta Pollensa, Majorca which is a full on family resort apparently.
Old 24 January 2008, 06:17 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

Surely flying with children that age is going to be a right pain with regards to baggage allowances and pushchairs etc? I heard somewhere that children weren't entitled to an allowance so that will eat into yours (I could be wrong here) and when you factor in the cheaper airlines also stitch you up for hold baggage, its gonna cost a fortune too.

I think our holiday next year will be stealing the parents' place in Wales whilst they're in Oz/NZ or somewhere within easy reach of the coast for ferries. I really can't face flying with twins!
Old 24 January 2008, 10:13 PM
97TURBO
Scooby Regular

Im off in two weeks time to the Canaries with the other half and our 7 month old. Bricking it about the flight incase the wee one is unhappy. Im more worried about somebody saying something if she is screaming as i would be left with no choice but to give them a slap
Baby gets no baggage allowance, so i only get a corner of my own case
Old 24 January 2008, 10:35 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

I think it does eat into your allowance (but our pushchair has never been weighed - note we bought a little one for flying, we don't take the Range Rover that she normally uses) but as we are used to travelling and have slowly realised that we take a lot of crap that never gets used on the holiday, we just cut that out and everyone wins. Don't even need to repack it at the end

97T - Just try to plan stuff like her meals, sleeping time etc. Bottle in the mouth during take off and landing if possible so she'll be a) occupied b) swallowing therefore no ear pressure.
Old 24 January 2008, 10:46 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Jesus !!!!!!

Talk about not giving your misses a rest. As soon as one popped out, you were back in.

First thing I thought of
Old 24 January 2008, 10:52 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

caravan holiday in cornwall is ideal somewhere near newquay
fantastic place ,we go down to holywell bay as we have 2 young ones aswell.
Old 24 January 2008, 11:07 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 97TURBO
Im off in two weeks time to the Canaries with the other half and our 7 month old. Bricking it about the flight incase the wee one is unhappy. Im more worried about somebody saying something if she is screaming as i would be left with no choice but to give them a slap
So you're not concerned about the 100 or so people who's flight you'll be spoiling but the way that the event will make you feel. Selfish. You'd be trying to slap me, 97TURBO. The GF and I had a great time in Sharm late last year with the only low points being a screaming kid on the flight (non-stop for about 3 hours) and whining kids at dinner. People go on holiday to relax, not to hear the whaling offspring of inconsiderate parents.
Old 24 January 2008, 11:11 PM
gazza-uk
Scooby Regular

take them to Euro Disney, and the the rest of us from screaming kids
Old 24 January 2008, 11:41 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

People treat children like unwanted accesories and then wonder why they end up hanging around shops mugging grannies. Plan well and you can take them to any number of places. Airports can be tough but most airlines are prepared for pushchairs etc.
Old 24 January 2008, 11:42 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by **************
We took our daughter on holiday last year when she was 3 months old. We also had our 2 year old and my 10 year old. However my parents also came along because it helped a great deal and they had a fantastic time seeing the kids on holiday playing and swimming.

We were concerned about the flight. However we were wrong to be concerned, our little miss never made a peep all the way there and all the way back and not because she was asleep. Even our 2 year old behaved himself pretty much most of the time.

You go where you want to go and see what happens. If you stay at home for fear of it being a nightmare you are denying yourself possibly the opposite and having a fantastic time.

My 10 year old went off playing in the pool with all the other kids of similar age and spent time with his little bro and sis, our 2 year old learnt to jump in the pool and then couldn't stop him and our 3 month old went in a swimming pool for the first time and loved every second of it and spent a lot of time in the pool getting lots of fuss and attention from everyone.

I see it my kids deserve a holiday every year just as much as I do and I wouldn't enjoy it one little bit if I had to leave them behind. If you can get your parents to go with you not only is it handy for the help but also nice to have other family to share the holiday with.
Old 24 January 2008, 11:45 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

We took our daughter on holiday last year when she was 3 months old. We also had our 2 year old and my 10 year old. However my parents also came along because it helped a great deal and they had a fantastic time seeing the kids on holiday playing and swimming.

We were concerned about the flight. However we were wrong to be concerned, our little miss never made a peep all the way there and all the way back and not because she was asleep. Even our 2 year old behaved himself pretty much most of the time.

You go where you want to go and see what happens. If you stay at home for fear of it being a nightmare you are denying yourself possibly the opposite and having a fantastic time.

My 10 year old went off playing in the pool with all the other kids of similar age and spent time with his little bro and sis, our 2 year old learnt to jump in the pool and then couldn't stop him and our 3 month old went in a swimming pool for the first time and loved every second of it and spent a lot of time in the pool getting lots of fuss and attention from everyone.

I see it my kids deserve a holiday every year just as much as I do and I wouldn't enjoy it one little bit if I had to leave them behind. If you can get your parents to go with you not only is it handy for the help but also nice to have other family to share the holiday with.
exactly
Old 24 January 2008, 11:47 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Your kids sound perfect. They'd be much more welcome then the screaming brats we've encountered.
Old 25 January 2008, 08:03 AM
Reality
BANNED

Originally Posted by stilover
Jesus !!!!!!

My Mum had 4 kids by the time she was 21

As for Holidays with babies - sounds like a stress fest to me.

Better of staying at home and spending quality time with you young family

Quick Reply: Where would YOU go on hoiday with a 14 month old and a 3 month old?