Blob running problems

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2018, 03:21 PM
WelshSTI
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blob running problems

Hi all,
Been lurking on here for a while now but never got round to introducing myself. Not ideal that this is my first post but hey ho.
Small intro. Had my '03 blob for nearly a year after getting rid of my z4m coupe. Wasn't particularly looking for a Subaru but saw one at a garage so thought i'd have a gander. Had a test drive and then popped down a deposit.
She is coming up to 34500 miles on the clock and has a whole host of performance parts including a td05 20g turbo, gt spec wrapped headers, blitz 3" decat exhaust, fmic, induction kit, recirc dv, walbro fuel pump and a load of whiteline goodies underneath. May have missed a few things, the list was massive. Currently running around 380bhp thanks to Andy Forrest.
So the problem. From cold start, she runs fine and dandy. When warmed up and i stop somewhere, restart and the revs fluctuate and then finally it stalls. Leave it 10 mins and she starts fine and you can drive away. Seems to be worse in this warmer weather. I've replaced the MAF and tried unplugging the lambda sensor when warm to no avail. Had it on 2 diagnostic machines both of which pulled up no codes. Even cleaned all plugs and sockets in engine bay and visually checked pretty much every wire.
So here i am hoping and wishing that someone may have some ideas. Pretty calm when it cars but this one is really testing me It's no doubt a small niggly thing which makes it worse.

Edit: Also has a 2nd switchable map running 310bhp.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0174.JPG
Views:	0
Size:	3.99 MB
ID:	72235   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0211.JPG
Size:	2.75 MB
ID:	72236   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0213.JPG
Size:	3.14 MB
ID:	72237  

Last edited by WelshSTI; 29 July 2018 at 07:54 PM.
Old 29 July 2018, 05:07 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Received 670 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by WelshSTI
Hi all,
Been lurking on here for a while now but never got round to introducing myself. Not ideal that this is my first post but hey ho.
Small intro. Had my '03 blob for nearly a year after getting rid of my z4m coupe. Wasn't particularly looking for a Subaru but saw one at a garage so thought i'd have a gander. Had a test drive and then popped down a deposit.
She is coming up to 34500 miles on the clock and has a whole host of performance parts including a td05 20g turbo, gt spec wrapped headers, blitz 3" decat exhaust, fmic, induction kit, recirc dv, walbro fuel pump and a load of whiteline goodies underneath. May have missed a few things, the list was massive. Currently running around 380bhp thanks to Andy Forrest.
So the problem. From cold start, she runs fine and dandy. When warmed up and i stop somewhere, restart and the revs fluctuate and then finally it stalls. Leave it 10 mins and she starts fine and you can drive away. Seems to be worse in this warmer weather. I've replaced the MAF and tried unplugging the lambda sensor when warm to no avail. Had it on 2 diagnostic machines both of which pulled up no codes. Even cleaned all plugs and sockets in engine bay and visually checked pretty much every wire.
So here i am hoping and wishing that someone may have some ideas. Pretty calm when it cars but this one is really testing me It's no doubt a small niggly thing which makes it worse.
Hi mate..had a similar problem with my blob,has it happened since mapped?..when it would reach a certain temperature the revs would fluctuate then it would cut out...fine when cold and fine when fully warmed so it was somewhere in between ..the map just needed a simple tweek with mine...start your car and let it idle up to temperature to see if it happens
Old 29 July 2018, 05:30 PM
WelshSTI
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by johno01
Hi mate..had a similar problem with my blob,has it happened since mapped?..when it would reach a certain temperature the revs would fluctuate then it would cut out...fine when cold and fine when fully warmed so it was somewhere in between ..the map just needed a simple tweek with mine...start your car and let it idle up to temperature to see if it happens
In this weather i can drive it 5 miles and 40 miles, its only after a restart it happens. It even went a few months without it happening but has got worse with this heatwave. Guess it may need a tweak. Unfortunately it was mapped when i bought it.
Where did you get yours mapped seeing as you're in the north west
Old 29 July 2018, 06:48 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

In this weather i can drive it 5 miles and 40 miles, its only after a restart it happens. It even went a few months without it happening but has got worse with this heatwave. Guess it may need a tweak. Unfortunately it was mapped when i bought it.
Where did you get yours mapped seeing as you're in the north west
I got mine mapped twice, firstly by duncan graham (race dynamix) at roger clark motorsport then by pat at scoobyclinic...I bought my car with the fluctuating problem so Duncan tweeked the map and fixed it...a year later I got a lot of work done at scoobyclinic and the problem reared it's ugly head again once I got car back so pat just tweeked the map again and fixed it..
Old 29 July 2018, 07:53 PM
WelshSTI
Scooby Newbie

Thinking back, it's probably not the map. I forgot i had 2 maps as i always have it on the high one. It repeats the problem on the low one (310bhp).

Edited op.
Old 29 July 2018, 07:58 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Thinking back, it's probably not the map. I forgot i had 2 maps as i always have it on the high one. It repeats the problem on the low one (310bhp).

Edited op.
same here pal, I had a 20% methanol map and vpower only...was same in both...good chance it's not the map but if you have tried everything else then may be worth getting checked
Old 29 July 2018, 08:23 PM
WelshSTI
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by johno01
same here pal, I had a 20% methanol map and vpower only...was same in both...good chance it's not the map but if you have tried everything else then may be worth getting checked
Oh OK. Honestly, the map never crossed our mind as it was done by Andy Forrest. I guess no one is perfect so it may be worth a look.
Old 29 July 2018, 09:06 PM
john_d
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh OK. Honestly, the map never crossed our mind as it was done by Andy Forrest. I guess no one is perfect so it may be worth a look.
do you know if its had any work done since he mapped it?
Old 30 July 2018, 03:54 PM
WelshSTI
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by john_d
do you know if its had any work done since he mapped it?
Looking back through the receipts it doesn't look like. Been told by a garage today it could be the induction kit.
Old 06 August 2018, 11:30 PM
Croney
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have similar problem with my 03 blob, starts and runs fine until i stop engine and restart within about 30 mins, runs rough as hell at idle, tries to stall. If i drive it for a couple of mins above idle it goes back to normal. Nothing changed from it running well to it happening.
Mapped it 20 months ago stock euc, forged internals, mdx331t, decaped injectors, full rcm 3" exhaust, k&n short ram, samco inlet, japspeed fmic, 3port bcs, walbro fuel pump, only stock fuel press regulator on though

Last edited by Croney; 06 August 2018 at 11:42 PM.