Notices

2.1 info about stroker please

Search this Thread

Old 24 July 2018, 02:59 PM
darrenmma
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.1 info about stroker please

I have searched forums and google cant get defininitive answers....it may sound stupid to you experienced builders but I just want a simple breakdown please...…..

I am rebuilding my engine, I do have a budget im more than likely going to get good used parts apart from gaskets cambelt pumps etc...…. I am basically going to get whatever comes up at the time at good value...………….

Can a 2.5 crank go with standard sti pistons and rods or forged pistons and rods..... is this even possible or is it a strict no no...…..I am not going above 360/360...….I just heard that the higher crank gives a better low range torque and is better than my standard 2.0 ……….. If at around the same price....is it worth doing so with standard size pistons and rods / forged and is it possible...……..

if a crank is used and good condition would people buy one used.... if one had a spun bearing but could be reground / polished off would if be a No No ….just after different opinions...…… so to clairfiy im looking at good used pistons rods and crank and whichever comes up in my price range and good condition ………….staying with 75mm and sti internals shouldn't make much difference its just if someones selling good parts and it comes up why not

the 2.1 stroker is the main question as to have someone selling used "stroker" type pistons/rods I assume will be very low chance
Old 24 July 2018, 03:07 PM
ScottyPPP
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can use a 2.5 crank with stock rods but you'll need stroker pistons.
Old 24 July 2018, 03:14 PM
darrenmma
Scooby Regular

ahhh ok so no getting around it...and I assume stroker pistons are forged and expensive not just anyt type of oem pistons.....would having stock rods with stroker pistons be any detriment to it....I really don't understand as I have read things about people using shorter and longer rods etc about displacement
Old 24 July 2018, 03:18 PM
darrenmma
Scooby Regular

and I suppose the last question would be is ….. would the performance be that much greater ….. I have a fine 2.0 crank I can grab sti pistons and rods off someone for £80 plus cost of rings of course so say £170 …… vs £670 for stroker pistons and sti rods and 2.5 crank ..………. as said wont be going past 360/360 so for a £500 price difference is it anything substantial , thanks
Old 24 July 2018, 03:56 PM
Yellow R
Scooby Regular

It will be cheaper and easier to source a good newage bottom end from a breaker and just install that if sticking to circa 360hp
Old 24 July 2018, 04:17 PM
darrenmma
Scooby Regular

ive already got my my heads and block cleaned up and machined , and I want to build all fresh so I feel somewhat secure about the build..buying a good bottom end from breaker although good would put me in the situation of...well I don't know how good the internal are...I don't know how long before gaskets may go or anything else rather refresh everything myself. …...plus the fun of doing it …… just deciding on the pistons / rods before ready to start building back up.....I don't need stroker just curious about if the cost the improvement ratio is worth it etc...
Old 24 July 2018, 07:17 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a pair of new cosworth 1.1mm head gaskets if interested
Old 24 July 2018, 07:28 PM
darrenmma
Scooby Regular

inboxed
Old 24 July 2018, 07:30 PM
darrenmma
Scooby Regular

also just to give heads up source a couple of people selling what both say are good used parts...… and its looking like forged pistons and rods Cosworth not stroker and using my own 2.0 crank £350 Cosworth stroker pistons sti rods and sti 2.5 crank £500 or sti rods and pistons using my own crank £80
Old 24 July 2018, 08:30 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by darrenmma
inboxed
Replied
Old 24 July 2018, 08:33 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

If your only aiming for 360, may as well just buy new ej207 pistons and rods, you can reuse crank as they can take some abuse.
Or just overspec it a buy a 2.1 kit from advanced automotives etc. That way you block is ready for more power if you need in future, which you will trust me lol
Old 24 July 2018, 08:53 PM
hackisfun
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You want the build to feel fresh and feel secure so your sourcing 2nd hand parts? If your going to do it do it right and buy new. The majority of cost is the labour so just go the forged route and gives u option of more power in future