Hatch induction kit

Search this Thread

Old 06 July 2018, 09:38 PM
Scott10199
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hatch induction kit

Hi,

I've been looking to buy an induction kit for my 09 330s hatch but they seem to be a lot more expensive then 01-07 ones.

I was wondering if an induction kit for a hawkeye would work in my hatch ?

Cheers

Scott
Old 06 July 2018, 09:57 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Cant see it fitting otherwise they would list them.as so. Ive a new perrin inner wing one on ebay , cheapest on there.
Old 06 July 2018, 10:07 PM
Scott10199
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed
Cant see it fitting otherwise they would list them.as so. Ive a new perrin inner wing one on ebay , cheapest on there.
Do you have a link for it?

And the reason I asked was when I searched on eBay it came up with a few that did fit 07 and hatches ?
Old 06 July 2018, 11:23 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352377246920?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1558.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3523772469...84.m1558.l2649
Old 07 July 2018, 09:21 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Won't improve performance at all though.
Old 07 July 2018, 10:41 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jaygsi
True - the OE is good for north of 370, and it's a nice cold air feed - does a great job

Fit something like a K&N in the box instead
Old 08 July 2018, 04:50 PM
Scott10199
Scooby Newbie

Image a K&N filter in the box already,
Looking to have a more aggressive sound on full throttle and I prefer an induction kit had it on my previous Scooby
Old 08 July 2018, 05:32 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scott10199
Image a K&N filter in the box already,
Looking to have a more aggressive sound on full throttle and I prefer an induction kit had it on my previous Scooby
If you're happy compromising performance for sound, then absolutely all's fine in the world
Old 08 July 2018, 06:51 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Agreed. Why not just remove your resonator box, that will free up some sound, plus be able to hear more turbo noise.

I've just removed my dump valve. Already miss the sound. But prefer the engine to run safely.

I have a pipercross one which works well.

Originally Posted by bonesetter
If you're happy compromising performance for sound, then absolutely all's fine in the world
Old 09 July 2018, 09:10 AM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

based on what?

CAI will flow a lot better than standard hatch airbox.
Old 09 July 2018, 06:03 PM
Scott10199
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by bonesetter
How would changing to an induction it compromise my performace ? As it would give better and cold air flow ?
Old 09 July 2018, 08:23 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scott10199
How would changing to an induction it compromise my performace ? As it would give better and cold air flow ?
How can a CAI kit give better cold air flow - the OE one sucks all its air from outside as well, and it's right at the front of the car too, which to my mind is better pl;aced
Old 10 July 2018, 10:49 AM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

CAI can still use the existing OE air scoop, and can be boxed off if necessary - but the main gain is that CAI is nowhere near as restrictive as the standard hatch airbox & pipework

it'll defo need checked/maf scaled due to the difference in flow

Last edited by Gambit; 10 July 2018 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10 July 2018, 02:04 PM
bugeyestuart
Scooby Regular

Interested to see some evidence of this. Has anyone had a remap from a performance panel filter to a CAI and had no gains?
Old 19 July 2018, 01:45 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This isn't a bad read...
https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...r-box-mod.html

Personally, having run panel filters, an inner wing kit, a cheap Japspeed cone and an RCM trumpet filter on previous cars, my own experience was:
1) No significant gains on a standard engine that you'd really notice. One guy I know had the enclosed K&N apollo kit on his widetrack that made 360bhp which is the highest figure I've seen first hand at a dyno on a standard vf35.
2) Not really worth having an induction kit without a proper cold air feed as you'll just get the hot air from the engine bay as already mentioned
3) On my last car which was running an SC42 and a FMIC, the Japspeed and RCM kit both made the same power (440bhp) even though the RCM had the much larger (and expensive) cone.
I'm sure there's a bit more science behind it though, I trust the RCM brand more, but maybe I'm just being a brand *****
4) I wouldn't bother with an induction kit unless I'm changing the turbo and going FMIC, an adjustable 22mm rear ARB is money better spent for similar money.

Last edited by MrNoisy; 19 July 2018 at 01:51 PM.
Old 19 July 2018, 04:43 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by Gambit
CAI can still use the existing OE air scoop, and can be boxed off if necessary - but the main gain is that CAI is nowhere near as restrictive as the standard hatch airbox & pipework

it'll defo need checked/maf scaled due to the difference in flow
A lot of comments on this thread refer to classic and newage setup with the long 180 degree bend in the inlet feed.
The Hatch onwards is pretty good having a straight feed direct into the filter from the front and thus better ram air effect. Only improvement I'd make is replace the corrugated filter box to turbo air inlet pipe with a smooth silicone one.

If you do fit a CAI, car needs to be mapped.

An experience of an SIDC member with a MY16 WRX STi...............
I went to Scoobyclinic today to test out the new Injen evo 1206 cold air intake and the results were surprising. I brought this intake, due to the fact that Injen advertised this product requiring "no" tune/remap required. And an increase of 26hp and 34lbft increase with safe fuel air ratios.

Firstly, we put my car on the dyno and it made 289.7hp and about 280ftlb torque. Which according to scoobyclinic is about right despite Subaru advertising the car with 296bhp and 300ftlbs.Then me and Mark (dyno technician) installed the Injen intake which took around 20mins, we then put my car back on the dyno and the car made 296.3hp and about the same in torque. However, Mark stopped the run as the air fuel ratios were far too lean and unsafe. He recommend a remap to correct the air fuel ratios
Injens claim
The Evolution of cold air intakes is here. The Evolution cold air intake system by Injen Technology is the next generation of performance intake systems. The EVO1206 is specifically engineered for the 2015-16 Subaru STi with the 2.5L engine. Every EVO1206 cold air intake is made in the USA from cross linked high density polyethylene for extreme durability. They include stainless steel hardware and automotive grade urethane couplers. No cutting or drilling required for an easy installation process that does not require aftermarket tuning for exceptional HORSEPOWER and TORQUE GAINS. The EVO1206 was precisely tuned and tested on our in-house dyno to replicate stock fueling while increasing horsepower and torque. The system was carefully designed utilizing the latest in CMM Laser Scanning hardware - SolidWorks 3D CAD Software – and finally prototype tested after being printed on one of our state of the art 3D printers – and this is all before ever being released for production! The Subaru STi ECU is very sensitive to modifications and will not accept most aftermarket intake kits without the use of an additional tuner. This is not the case with our Evolution cold air intake. We utilize an aluminum tube that incorporates our patented air fusion and MR technology to provide safe and reliable fuel trim levels, all without the use of an aftermarket tuner! The EVO1206 system features our 2-piece box design that incorporates our boost plenum, redesigned ram air scoop, a massive 360° SuperNano-Web dry air filter, and a built-in Filter Monitor for quick and easy filter inspections. Every Injen Evolution air induction system utilizes Injen’s proprietary SuperNano-Web dry air filters. Don’t just take out word for it, every intake system that Injen Technology produces is 100% dyno tested in-house. The Evolution can’t be stopped…..
Full product Details