Notices

Guide to replace classic steering rack bushings??

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2018, 10:34 AM
Robbie010
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Guide to replace classic steering rack bushings??

As above, I’m looking for a guide to replace the steering rack bushes in MY00 Impreza.

Having had a read through the MOT history for my classic Turbo 2000, steering rack play is repeated over and over so I’d like to replace the bushes.

Cheers.
Old 31 May 2018, 05:38 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

make sure the racks uj is tight first, i just had mine motd and the tester said ile just tighten this up first see if it cures the problem, 2 mins later steering back to perfect no play in steering wheel at all, move wheel and the wheels move job done and FREE
Old 01 June 2018, 09:34 AM
KillianGF8
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As above, what try madscoob said first but failing that get yourself some polybushes for the rack its an easy enough job and cheap for the bushes even if you do solve it by tightening the UJ i think its worth doing.

Loosen UJ, to be able to drop the rack slightly. get underneath, you'll see the bushes either side. drivers and pass side are different shapes, undo brackets, pop off old bushes and throw away. Bit of grease on inside of new bushes and slide on. Its a bit fiddly getting on the pass side one, the drivers one goes on ok (unless its the other way round i cant remember but one is def easier than the other, but which ever one is the rounded one is easier to get on so do that last).

Once the new ones are on (and properly fitted, it can be easy to have them a bit out and you will notice this big time especially under braking) do back up the brackets, tighten UJ and away you go. Nice mod and the bushes are only 20 quid or something.

Probably a better guide than that somewhere but its one of those jobs that makes sense once you are under the car but definitely drop the rack a bit first to make life easier. Do not undo the UJ all the way though.
Old 07 June 2018, 04:51 PM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't tried this on a classic, but I have on a blob wagon. It was fiddly, but not particularly hard.

This was the post.

https://www.scoobynet.com/showpost.p...&postcount=111
Old 07 June 2018, 04:53 PM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also, if you're concerned about play, check the inner tie rods.