Rear Hub & Axle removal - Classic Impreza

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2018, 10:06 PM
Robbie010
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Hub & Axle removal - Classic Impreza

Hi all,

I知 tackling the strut tower and inner arch rust on my impreza, at the same time I知 installing all new rear suspension, shocks, springs, full control arm kit, ARB, drop links and mounts etc.

In order to give myself some wiggle in the wheelarch I want to remove the wheel hub too. My question is, if I support the hub on a jack while I remove the trail arm and control arms etc, can I remove the hub and axle in one piece?

if so, how?

thanks.
Old 21 March 2018, 06:27 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

"My question is, if I support the hub on a jack while I remove the trail arm and control arms etc, can I remove the hub and axle in one piece?"

The transfer box end of the rear driveshafts are pop-out jobs, held in by a large (c. 8cm diameter) thick wire split-ring, so all you need to do is give them a firm yank to break them loose from the box. Once you've done that, it won't matter a lot if the hub is still attached at the wheel end, except for the combined part being a bit on the heavy and unwieldy side. You'll obviously need to disconnect absolutely everything else from the hub for removal.