Notices

Have I Flushed?

Search this Thread

Old 16 December 2017, 04:23 PM
HarryB
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Have I Flushed?

After the car overheated last night whilst it was around -2*c, I had a look this morning to find an empty header tank.

I have no idea what colour/type of anti-freeze the car had in, nor does the previous owner, although he has given me the number of the guys who looked after it during his ownership. They're closed over the weekend so I thought I'd get a head start.

I flushed the radiator with water, then hooked it back up and filled the car with just water using alcazar's very helpful guide here; https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...-question.html

Just been for a run and the temperature seems normal, so I'm just waiting for the water to cool before dropping the bottom radiator hose and releasing the fluid (there's a good chance it will freeze tonight).

My question is - does this count as flushing the system? Can I now fill it with a recommended anti-freeze and not worry that it may mix badly with whatever was in there before?

I've read that you can hook up a hose and run water through the system, but surely the thermostat wouldn't be open to allow it to run out of the bottom of the block?

Thanks in advance!