Notices

General repair and replace advice plz!

Search this Thread

Old 01 December 2017, 12:08 PM
Tronco
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General repair and replace advice plz!

Hi All,
Been sneaking about here a while but only recently joined - seems a good old community so thought it's high-time I said hello (plus, of course, I need something now!!).
I have a standard '55 Blobeye WRX & Prodrive pack that was mint, until I pranged a short while back. It is well worth repairing (to me anyway) so am going about it - but is my first Impreza and am a bit of an engineering novice at the best of times.....
I have most of the bits to replace (thanks to a visit with Matt and his colleague from MB Developments - discovered them here and were really great chaps! Managed to squeeze about a third of an impreza's worth of parts into my ford Ka!!) but I am now after some pointers on what to do whilst I have the thing in bits.

So - Front bumper/crash bar and rads are all off at the mo. I will replace all the belts I can see, and seems sensible to do cambelt now too (& water pump?).
I have the old knock from the rear shocks, so thought replace them now - KYB Ultra seems popular and an easy fit? (I have prodrive springs on, and 18" Prodrive/OZ P1 alloys - anything I need to consider?).
And should I do anything to front shocks at the same time? (nowt wrong with them, AFAIK)
Anti-roll links show a bit of wear, not much but if doing shocks, guess this is practical and pretty cheap.
Think I need to replace the track rods (one may be a little bent - and they were really stuck on last time I had tracking done)

What I am hoping for your general advice on is -
does the above seem sensible?
Anything I have missed as an opportunity to do now?
Any pointers on where to buy the shocks/track rods/bits and bobs?

FYI, I like the car looking sort-of standard, although am adding a new STI front bumper to replace the broken WRX one.

Look forward to some of your collective knowledge!
Old 01 December 2017, 12:29 PM
iMook
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're replacing the cambelt and water pump, then do the thermostat while you're there. Check your coolant pipes, esp the top one - replace with standard rubber pipe on a standard car if it's showing signs of weakness. Find a Youtube vid on how to properly get the air out of the system.

Everything else makes sense. Check all your bushes while you've got the car in pieces - no point in paying for tracking again in a few months if anything needs replacing then.

www.importcarparts.co.uk are competitively priced for genuine parts
Old 02 December 2017, 11:36 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by iMook
If you're replacing the cambelt and water pump, then do the thermostat while you're there. Check your coolant pipes, esp the top one - replace with standard rubber pipe on a standard car if it's showing signs of weakness. Find a Youtube vid on how to properly get the air out of the system.

Everything else makes sense. Check all your bushes while you've got the car in pieces - no point in paying for tracking again in a few months if anything needs replacing then.

www.importcarparts.co.uk are competitively priced for genuine parts
There is no sure fire way to bleed the system.

But follow my method for filling and you'll have no problems.
Old 03 December 2017, 05:49 PM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As above, check the bushes while it's in bits an replace with poly.
Personally I'd ask Matty if he's got any STI rear ARBs that would fit, it's a quick and cheap upgrade that really makes a difference.
Old 03 December 2017, 05:53 PM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ps. Also check the rocker cover gaskets for any signs of oil seeping through.