Bonnet Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2017, 06:50 PM
ScoobyNib
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bonnet Trouble

Hi All,

Picked up my first Impreza this month, an 05 Widetrack.

Few days in the bonnet popped open at about 90mph (private road of course ) and luckily caught on the latch.

I've observed that around 75/80mph the bonnet seems to rise up to the point where it obscures the shut lines, then by circa 90mph it's juddering up and down quite noticeably, but no knocking noises...

I had a look at the catch and it seemed a bit gritty and dry so I've greased it up. But the bonnet still shows the above symptoms. Has anyone else had this problem?

Spend my time constantly sh*tting myself its going to fly up and hit the screen! Has anyone else had this problem?

Old 22 November 2017, 07:10 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any speeds above 100 mph in my blobeye and you could see the bonnet lifting around the headlights, very unnerving but it never actually lifted onto the latch even at higher speeds. Ive since fitted a set of aerocatches which offer great piece of mind when pushing on.
Old 23 November 2017, 11:13 AM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Might be a red herring, but on my blob the undertray dropped at speed (also on a private road). This diverted enough air up around the engine to pop the bonnet and even though the safety catch caught it, it was a bit worrying at the time.
So I'd suggest you have a look at the tray under the engine and gearbox and make sure it's all securely in place.
Old 23 November 2017, 10:31 PM
ScoobyFC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It appears to be pretty standard im afraid. I asked the same question when i got my widetrack and as its a lighter bonnet it tends to do this, apparently.

Like others, i plan on getting round to aerocatches when i grow to like them