Notices

New High-flow Cat downpipe needed?

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2017, 09:02 PM
amv#01
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New High-flow Cat downpipe needed?

I currently have a prodrive 100cel one fitted, picked it up 2nd hand many years ago to replace standard cat on my bug sti but have been told it now needs replacing as its leaking.

Definately leaking from somewhere as with the bonnet open you can sometimes see some fumes rise from the engine bay when pressing and sharply releasing the throttle. Power still seems fine but maybe haven't noticed if its happened gradually.

Seems odd, do these things generally last well? Anyone else had one degrade over time?

Should I just ask the garage to try re-gasketing the connections to the exhaust etc before shelling out on a new one. However it is probably nearly 15 years old now. (most of them that come up on ebay etc probably are now, so don't think I'd do second hand again this time round).

Not sure if the garage could tell exactly where leak was coming from other than its quite bad and definately is blowing from the connection to the exhaust.
Old 03 November 2017, 11:00 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

I'd check where leak is coming from. If rusted upgrade to new stainless steel one.