Notices

Diff oil change - 2009 STI 330S

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2017, 02:06 PM
robbybox
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diff oil change - 2009 STI 330S

I have a 2009 hatchback STI 330s and I'm wishing to change the differential oil. What is the correct oil for this??
The differential feels lumpy especially at low speeds during manoeuvring and also under heavy acceleration. Ive been told this is normal several times but I'm not convinced. Hoping an oil change may improve it slightly.
Also on starting from cold i get a brief strong smell of petrol.... Ive had a rolling road and diagnostic test and the engine is all sound and performing as it should be. It has done 70,000 miles and has forged pistons fitted. The engine idle also feels a little rough but nothing showed up in any tests. Can you guys in the know put my mind at rest please!!!????
Many thanks in advance
Old 01 November 2017, 04:25 PM
oilman
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi

I'm not 100% on this, but in the hatch STi, I am told it is a mechanical LSD, so no need for a LSD specific diff oil and you need a GL5 75w-90.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-673-75w-90-gear-oil.aspx

The Millers CRX NT, Motul Gear 300, Red Line 75w-90NS, Amsoil Severe Gear and Gulf Competition are ideal as top end options. The Millers TRX Synthetic/EE Nanodrive, Mobil SHC, Castrol Syntrax Universal Plus and Valvoline Synpower TDL are good, but a step down from the top oils. Fuchs Gear Syn, Motul Motylgear, Millers TRX Semi and Castrol Universal are good, cheaper options.

If it has a plated diff, go for a 90LSD oil, like the Fuchs Titan Race Gear 90LS, Castrol Axle Z or Motul 90PA.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-679-sae-90-gear-oils.aspx

Cheers

Tim