PPP Downpipe Vs Aftermarket Sportscat Downpipe

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2017, 02:53 PM
rich__88
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PPP Downpipe Vs Aftermarket Sportscat Downpipe

Hi Guys,

I've had my Blob STI for a little while now, so looking at increasing the power. It has PPP fitted with the certificate.

I'm looking at doing the standard, Air filter, fuel pump, spark plugs, backbox, downpipe and remap.

I understand as part of the PPP you get a sports cat downpipe? Is this any more restrictive than other aftermarket ones? Is there any advantage to swapping out for a different one, e.g. Japspeed or similar.

Thanks,
Old 10 October 2017, 03:12 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Personally I wouldn't bother swapping out the Prodrive downpipe for nother after market one. You won't see any benefit unless you go full decat.

My last car had a 200 cel Cobra sports cat downpipe and it made great power 334bhp 381 lb/ft. My current FSTI has a prodrive sports cat downpipe with similar mods and it's making more than my previous hawkeye.
Old 10 October 2017, 07:21 PM
sivo
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

IF your prodrive sports cat is in good condition you will make between 320 - 330.
You already have an upgraded fuel pump as part of the PPP.
A full decat may push you closer to 340 if your lucky but its not worth it.
My advise would be to get the car properly serviced using quality fluids, engine oil, gearbox oil, diff oil, new 6 grade plugs and oe panel filter.
In my experience you wont benefit from colder grade plugs or a k&N panel filter at this power level.
Then get it mapped and enjoy

It may only be a 20-30 bhp increase on the PPP but a good mapper will work wonders for your car.

Good luck.

Siv
Old 11 October 2017, 08:31 AM
rich__88
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies!
Well, thats good to know. Saved me some money for other mods!

I've actually had all fluids changed fairly recently, about 6-9months ago it was done with a major service so thats all sorted.
My thought behind it is if i'm looking at about £550 for a remap, I may as well upgrade few bits at the same time. The cost of the other parts is fairly low anyway, and would effectively make the remap more 'efficient', at least thats the excuse I'm going with.