Notices

Dreaded Gearbox oil questions

Search this Thread

Old 09 October 2017, 09:59 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Dreaded Gearbox oil questions

I know my 5 speed wrx box needs a refurb as the syncro`s are crunchy, but that isnt going to happen due to cost.

I used to used Castrol syntrax but did a refresh some 20,000 later and used universal (supposed to be the new name for syntrax)but after a while was expereincing notchy changes again, so heard good things about redline stuff, american brand, , so i changed over to redline and tried both the light and heavy but after about 3000 miles or so its probably made it worse than using the syntrax.

Looking back at syntrax its now called castrol universal,(hence me buying that at the refresh time) yet the price difference between the syntrax labelled and universal label makes me wonder are they actually the same oil ?

So ive been looking at Motul Gear 300 stuff.

Now i know an oil cant fix things but does this stuff help at all, anyone used it ?

cheers
Old 09 October 2017, 10:10 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

cant you compare the specs of the Syn and Uni ?
Old 09 October 2017, 10:29 AM
oilman
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Rig
I know my 5 speed wrx box needs a refurb as the syncro`s are crunchy, but that isnt going to happen due to cost.

I used to used Castrol syntrax but did a refresh some 20,000 later and used universal (supposed to be the new name for syntrax)but after a while was expereincing notchy changes again, so heard good things about redline stuff, american brand, , so i changed over to redline and tried both the light and heavy but after about 3000 miles or so its probably made it worse than using the syntrax.

Looking back at syntrax its now called castrol universal,(hence me buying that at the refresh time) yet the price difference between the syntrax labelled and universal label makes me wonder are they actually the same oil ?

So ive been looking at Motul Gear 300 stuff.

Now i know an oil cant fix things but does this stuff help at all, anyone used it ?

cheers
Syntrax is a range of Castrol gear oils, there are 4 of them here http://www.opieoils.co.uk/search/go?...20Syntrax&rk=1

The Motul Gear300 is very popular in the Impreza and we get good feed back with it, as we also do with the Millers CRX NT 75w-90.

However if there is an issue with the Syncrho, sometimes nothing will really help it

Cheers,

Guy
Old 09 October 2017, 09:51 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

cheers

i get there are a few syntrax types now, but back in the day it was Syntrax (which is now universal) but syntrax was the price of say, what syntrax longlife is now, yet universal (supposed to be the old syntrax) is only £10.99 now so is it actually the same as the old branded syntrax before longlife and plus came about.

But anyhoo now its the choice between the millers and the Motul

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-115244-m...-oil-2017.aspx

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-899-motu...-diff-oil.aspx

cheers

Last edited by The Rig; 09 October 2017 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10 October 2017, 01:06 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 641 Likes on 467 Posts

The Miller's been really noisy in my hatch spec c, incidentally not bought from Opies, but I did mention it last time that I was up at theirs ( incidentally the Millers 10 50 Nt was excellent, and price was too) It may have been Guy?, he recommended the Motul. For me, the Millers was so noisy, I checked levels 3 times, noticeably noisier than the 7 year old stuff that came out
Old 10 October 2017, 01:24 PM
oilman
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We find Motul is the most popular in the Impreza.

Cheers,

Guy
Old 10 October 2017, 08:32 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys

Ordered the Motul Gear 300

Cheers
Old 10 October 2017, 08:59 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Well with the 4.5 litres drained out of redline heavy replaced with motul it can't be any worse than it is lol