Notices

help with AC compressor and belt

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2017, 01:43 AM
bradleybaja
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with AC compressor and belt

so I was driving down the highway and my 2003 baja seemed pretty sluggish. I was using the defroster because it was pouring and began to smell an odd odor coming through the vents. when I stopped I heard a noise, checked the belts and found the sound coming from the AC compressor. something was leaking from that area too. my assumption is that the compressor or part of it is shot, it looks pretty beat.

my question is if there is anything i can do to disable the compressor. i really don't care for having AC, i can manage without it even on hot summer days.

as people familiar with bajas will know there are two pulleys at the end of the crank, the front has the belt that runs through alternator and power steering. the back one is the AC belt. can i just pull relays and remove the belt to get the compressor to stop functioning and thus make the noise/smell go away? also, if that is the case, is there any reason that a malfunctioning compressor could affect the power steering even though they are two separate pulleys? only asking because for some reason my steering feels a little odd. keeping in mind that it's not the belt, it's the compressor, and all the belts are relatively new, and i also had the crank pulleys replaced last year because they had moved backward into the timing cover - so those should be good.

edit: power steering might actually be fine, maybe steering just feels a little delayed from sluggishness, could sluggishness be from lack of power as it tries to compensate for the compressor? (even if it's not on, but belt is struggling?)

Last edited by bradleybaja; 08 May 2017 at 02:10 AM.
Old 08 May 2017, 05:27 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Yes just remove the AC belt,this will not affect anything.,

Oh and get some pics of the baja up,don't see many of them on here
Old 08 May 2017, 01:22 PM
bradleybaja
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks, sounds fine now