Notices

Non turbo to turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06 May 2017, 08:59 PM
Keano989
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non turbo to turbo

Hi guys I no a few people have asked before and had a lot of negative answer's but I want to no the cheapest and easiest way to turn a non turbo to a turbo b4 you all ask I am 30 year old with 10 year no claims so it's nothing get to do with insurance I have a mint 2.0 lt sport special 00 x reg and have spent a lot of time on the car and don't want to just get a wrx I want to keep improving the 1 I have any good advice please
Old 06 May 2017, 09:07 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

There is no cheap and no easy way to convert it.

You will need engine,gearbox,full loom etc.....
Old 06 May 2017, 09:11 PM
Keano989
Scooby Regular

Firstly thank you for the reply. is the work hard could it be done at home I'm asking because I can get parts from ebay bit at a time and sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm no mechanic but what's the difference between the 2lt turbo and 2lt sport as in the engine block itself could I not just upgrade that and add the turbo
Old 06 May 2017, 10:06 PM
stuhanson
Scooby Newbie

strength of crank conrods compression ratio of pistons, quality of valves and rings etc.. it will work out cheaper to fit engine box and loom than try to convert.

Then you will need brakes suspension anti roll bars etc which are all uprated on turbo versions..

It will seriously be cheaper to part with the sport and buy a well looked after STI than attempt this conversion as much as it will break your heart to part with the sport.
Old 06 May 2017, 11:29 PM
gazney101
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The hardware part is easy.
in the most basic terms you can fit a used complete turbo long block, inlet, turbo, exhaust system, clutch, intercooler and airbox and it will physically bolt up to the sport as is.
The wiring loom changes will be the frustrating element.

Unless your planning on turning it into a stripped out time attack monster with a custom loom and running a syvecs it's just not feasible.
Just sell it and buy a turbo car.
Old 06 May 2017, 11:41 PM
johnlogie
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the non-turbo and turbo shells the same?
Old 07 May 2017, 09:43 PM
markb5888
Scooby Regular

There was a thread on here??? I think a few years ago With a chap doing this.
I believe the non turbo shells are the same, but your better off buying a complete rotten or crashed damaged turbo model.. As you literally have to change everything.. Suspensions hubs. The whole lot.. It's alot of work.. But if you personally think it's worth it then go for it..
Old 08 May 2017, 10:00 PM
Keano989
Scooby Regular

Thank you all for the replies I think I will just put this car up in the garage and look after it for a few years and hand it down to my son when he's old enough I do however have 1 last question on it I have a grinding sound coming from the drivers wheel or it sounds like it is I have new breaks fitted (noise what the same before new breaks ) so I no its not them new disks on front so I no its not a warped disk and bearing have also been done I have notice the c.v boot on the drive shafts has completely split I'm just wondering if this would be theasier cores of it or any other suggestions please thank you.
Old 08 May 2017, 10:52 PM
johnlogie
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by markb5888
There was a thread on here??? I think a few years ago With a chap doing this.
I believe the non turbo shells are the same, but your better off buying a complete rotten or crashed damaged turbo model.. As you literally have to change everything.. Suspensions hubs. The whole lot.. It's alot of work.. But if you personally think it's worth it then go for it..
I wasn't thinking from the point of converting to turbo like the op. I have a turbo car but could do with a better shell. Stripping and rebuilding isn't a problem as I already have a complete turbo car. Just wondered if the shells were the same