Wrx to over 300bhp

Search this Thread

Old 22 October 2016, 12:57 PM
ihboyrude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrx to over 300bhp

Hi guys,

So cars off the road at the moment due to a small crash and I'm thinking about keeping it off and doing a tune up to break the 300bhp mark. Right now it's sitting 270-280 with the PPP map and decatted up and down pipes, cobra back box. It also has a stage 2 competition clutch which is ideal for this. Any way from what iv been reading it's got to be essentially turned into an sti before mapping, td05 turbo, sti intercooler, injectors. Would I be correct in assuming this? Or has anyone else done it any other ways?

Cheers guys
Old 22 October 2016, 01:16 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ihboyrude
Hi guys,

So cars off the road at the moment due to a small crash and I'm thinking about keeping it off and doing a tune up to break the 300bhp mark. Right now it's sitting 270-280 with the PPP map and decatted up and down pipes, cobra back box. It also has a stage 2 competition clutch which is ideal for this. Any way from what iv been reading it's got to be essentially turned into an sti before mapping, td05 turbo, sti intercooler, injectors. Would I be correct in assuming this? Or has anyone else done it any other ways?

Cheers guys

Save yourself the trouble and expense and just get an Sti, a far better modifying platform in every way with brakes to match performance.
Old 22 October 2016, 01:21 PM
ihboyrude
Scooby Regular

I did think about this but.. for a decent STI I'd be looking at least 7000 which in my head after totaling up parts n tuning it would be cheaper doing it through my wrx? The differences I can see with and sti and wrx are... brakes, intercooler, gear box, injectors, turbo, suspension and my wrx is really most the way there. Do you know about any other differences ?
Old 22 October 2016, 01:32 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

What make you think it's 280bhp? You had it on a dyno?
Is it a UK wrx?
I wouldn't have thought by just sticking a PPP map on there that you would get a 30% increase in bhp?
PPP don't use a full decat dp either so probably won't be running to it potential anyway.
Old 22 October 2016, 01:35 PM
ihboyrude
Scooby Regular

You make a good point I'm just going by what I was told when I bought it by the guy who got it mapped (but no print out) but that's beside the point no? Because it would be a new map I'd be putting on it anyway.
Old 22 October 2016, 01:42 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Yes you are right.
To answer the original question then,STI pink injectors,STI tmic,255 fuel pump,bigger turbo:TD05 or one of the VF turbos,and a decent map will see you break 300bhp
Old 22 October 2016, 01:45 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

I did think about this but.. for a decent STI I'd be looking at least 7000 which in my head after totaling up parts n tuning it would be cheaper doing it through my wrx? The differences I can see with and sti and wrx are... brakes, intercooler, gear box, injectors, turbo, suspension and my wrx is really most the way there. Do you know about any other differences ?

For a start your WRX doesn't have the Sti's 6 speed gearbox, its suspension or brakes so it's far from most of the way there, and there are a lot of other differences too. If you're satisfied that you will never look for much more than 300 bhp then your WRX is probably ok. If at some stage you want to push to 350 and beyond (as many people soon do) then the limitations of the WRX platform become all too apparent.
Old 22 October 2016, 05:32 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

Go for it pal put a decent vf on it with a few sti l parts and push 330
Be a different animal
Next step brakes and suspension you will have a nice car
Old 22 October 2016, 06:47 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO
Go for it pal put a decent vf on it with a few sti l parts and push 330
Be a different animal
Next step brakes and suspension you will have a nice car
Wouldn't you do the suspension and brakes before the power bro?
Old 22 October 2016, 07:10 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

We're thw fun in that lol
Old 22 October 2016, 07:31 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ZANY
Wouldn't you do the suspension and brakes before the power bro?
especially with his last incident, more power may be a bad thing, those kerbs always win lol
Old 22 October 2016, 07:35 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Same bloke? Lol
Old 22 October 2016, 07:36 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Same bloke? Lol
https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...e-and-joy.html
Old 22 October 2016, 07:54 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Same bloke? Lol
See what your advice does bro
You need to put a DISCLAIMER along with your advice dude
Old 24 October 2016, 10:52 AM
ihboyrude
Scooby Regular

Hey Come on now guys, I had yet to ever have any sort of incident before that one. We all do silly things in our cars from time to time, you live and learn the hard way. Anyway as far as WRX 300 goes, The brakes on the front of a WRX are 4 pot ones same as the sti correct? So just need the back? Suspension... An after market set would do the same job as Sti And Paben if I was wanting to go over that mark I would be uping the car as well like you said but for finance wise if your doing the work your self its a lot cheaper to buy the wrx and tune it too 300 than it is to buy and sti same age and miles and tune it too 300. For the same car but STI id be looking about the 9K mark, and to do that work my self all of it I recon I could do it for just under 3 haha.
But yeh time will tell still doing repairs just now. Still looking for a control arm and steady bars

cheers guys!
Old 24 October 2016, 05:40 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Hey Come on now guys, I had yet to ever have any sort of incident before that one. We all do silly things in our cars from time to time, you live and learn the hard way. Anyway as far as WRX 300 goes, The brakes on the front of a WRX are 4 pot ones same as the sti correct? So just need the back? Suspension... An after market set would do the same job as Sti And Paben if I was wanting to go over that mark I would be uping the car as well like you said but for finance wise if your doing the work your self its a lot cheaper to buy the wrx and tune it too 300 than it is to buy and sti same age and miles and tune it too 300. For the same car but STI id be looking about the 9K mark, and to do that work my self all of it I recon I could do it for just under 3 haha.
But yeh time will tell still doing repairs just now. Still looking for a control arm and steady bars

cheers guys!

Unfortunately the weedy front brakes on a WRX are very far away from the Brembos on an Sti!
Old 24 October 2016, 05:44 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

The brembos didn't set my world alight neither that's why I went for ap
Old 24 October 2016, 05:55 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

WRX brakes are marginal at best. Need Brembos from an STi or aftermarket (APs etc).

330bhp is about the limit on a WRX before it no longer makes financial sense. For any appreciable gains on a WRX you need an uprated fuel pump, bigger injectors, sports-cat, bigger turbo (TD04 Hybrid, TD05 or VF), air filter, 3-port boost solenoid and a remap at the absolute minimum. That should see you 300bhp or higher depending upon turbo. Ported headers, up-pipe, wrapped exhaust, STi TMIC all help but aren't essential (worth doing all at the same time though). Most of the parts can be picked up cheaply off an STi.

It won't be an STi of course because you won't have the AVCS, 6-speed, trick-suspension, steering rack etc but you'll have very decent performance for maybe 1/2 of the price of a stock STi. If you want more power than an STi turbo can give (330ish) then you may as well buy an STi, as you'll need the 6-speed box sooner or later and it'll work out cheaper in the long run.
Old 24 October 2016, 06:21 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Might be worth putting the money towards some sort of trackday lessons before you increase the power judging by one of your threads....As you've already found out, power is nothing without control.
Old 24 October 2016, 07:21 PM
matt-c
Scooby Regular

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by jayallen
Might be worth putting the money towards some sort of trackday lessons before you increase the power judging by one of your threads....As you've already found out, power is nothing without control.

To be fair that looks like it was more to do with the tyres.
Old 24 October 2016, 08:28 PM
Matty81
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Can front and rear brembo discs and pads fit straight onto a wrx ?
Old 24 October 2016, 08:47 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 24 October 2016, 08:58 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matty81
Can front and rear brembo discs and pads fit straight onto a wrx ?
You'll need wheels to suit and make sure you have the correct pcd fitment on the disc accuired for your vehicle
Old 24 October 2016, 08:59 PM
Matty81
Scooby Regular

I've read all kinds of different things on scoobynet about what brake discs/pads fit retain cars and what needs changing to fit certain things. It's a simple question!!
Old 24 October 2016, 09:01 PM
Matty81
Scooby Regular

Thanks for a sensible answer mate. I've got 18's on mine and have read that minor adjustments need to be made in some instances. I wanna change my discs and pads because the standard ones are pretty ****e
Old 24 October 2016, 09:03 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

I've read all kinds of different things on scoobynet about what brake discs/pads fit retain cars and what needs changing to fit certain things. It's a simple question!!
Normal wrx wheels won't fit over brembo's dude...
Old 24 October 2016, 09:05 PM
Matty81
Scooby Regular

Mine are aftermarket wolfrace 18's dude. Was looking at black diamond discs and pads and I've read some decent reviews about them so was tempted
Old 24 October 2016, 09:40 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Mine are aftermarket wolfrace 18's dude. Was looking at black diamond discs and pads and I've read some decent reviews about them so was tempted
You'll get a full gold brembo brake setup for bout 600/700 with decent pads and discs

Mattyb the breaker on here just got a mint black widetrack in with brand new discs and pads on the gold brembo's a superb buy if your serious bout getting a set give him a shout he can even fit them for you aswell pal
Old 24 October 2016, 09:45 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Thanks for a sensible answer mate. I've got 18's on mine and have read that minor adjustments need to be made in some instances. I wanna change my discs and pads because the standard ones are pretty ****e
My little bro has a wrx blob and can't wait for his front pads/discs to go as he's getting a full set f gold brembo's aswell a very sensible upgrade he'll need alloys aswell so about £1k ali in but what's the use of big power without decent brakes and the all important tyres with me it's safety first all the way
Old 24 October 2016, 09:55 PM
Matty81
Scooby Regular

Tyres aren't a problem for me as I've got Goodyear f1's all round but I just hate the standard discs and pads. Get a lot of squeal and they don't perform aswell as I want them to.

I take it it would be a straight swap for the gold brembo's then ? If this guy hasn't got them for sale anymore can you Recommend anywhere else I can buy a set of gold brembos from ?