Notices

A quick question about downpipe swap on newage - causing CEL

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2016, 02:35 PM
aaron_ions
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A quick question about downpipe swap on newage - causing CEL

Hi all, just a quick question. I have a 2004 blob WRX Uk, at the moment it is stock other then back box, mid pipe and panel filter. I can see it needing a clutch soon, so as far as i am aware the garage will have to remove the down pipe to do the job, right? I've got a Prodrive sport cat down pipe with the second cat delete pipe in the garage So if i get them to fit that in place of the stock twin catted WRX item (so it will have the up pipe cat and sport cat down pipe, then second cat delete instead of all 3 cats) will I end up causing running issues or CEL's with just the 1 cat removed?

I've got a big bunch of parts along with the downpipe to go on it, headers, turbo, pump, up pipe etc... but not for a good year or so yet (funds tight cos of wedding - damn woman lol) and i was wondering if i could bang the Prodrive d.p on when the clutch is done to release a bit more burble/kill 2 birds with one stone... or should i just wait till i get everything fitted and mapped in like a year or so?

TIA. Aaron.
Old 14 October 2016, 07:59 AM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

If you fit the downpipe you will get cel's you will also need the car mapped for the downpipe.

So if youve a pile of stuff id be inclined to fit it all at once then get it mapped
Old 14 October 2016, 02:12 PM
aaron_ions
Scooby Regular

so it will still cause a check engine light only removing the rear scrubber cat? just thought i might get away with fitting that for a while to enjoy it for a bit with a bit more burble, as my parts fit/remap is probably a next spring job. cheers
Old 14 October 2016, 03:43 PM
nortonscooby
Scooby Regular

Fitted a prodrive sports cat and classic uppipe on my old uk300. Would throw a cel no and again but once code was deleted would stay off for months at a time. Made 267bhp on rollers and was running fine. When i did go full decat tho it was mapped the next day. From my experiance a sports cat will need a map for best gains but i never had an issue other than a cel now and then. My car had ppp tho so not sure if that made it a bit better. Just save your pennys and fit it all before you go for your map.
Old 15 October 2016, 08:10 AM
aaron_ions
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nortonscooby
Fitted a prodrive sports cat and classic uppipe on my old uk300. Would throw a cel no and again but once code was deleted would stay off for months at a time. Made 267bhp on rollers and was running fine. When i did go full decat tho it was mapped the next day. From my experiance a sports cat will need a map for best gains but i never had an issue other than a cel now and then. My car had ppp tho so not sure if that made it a bit better. Just save your pennys and fit it all before you go for your map.
Thanks for the reply. I may just go for it then if you were ok and you had more mods, as it seems a shame not to swap it over there and then if its off for the clutch job anyways. Other then a panel filter and the cat back it is completely stock so with the sport cat and up pipe cat still present id guess id be ok, and if it does throw a light itd just hasten things along to get the rest fitted and mapped haha thanks buddy!
Old 16 October 2016, 08:36 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

you could always fit it and get the map checked and see if it's ok , it sounds cheaper to get it all done now when it's apart , only downside if it's not running ok you will need to map then , in the long run i would think it's cheaper to do it now even with a wedding coming up or you will only have to pay some one later to put on what you want to , i have read up on people putting down pipe sports cats on , a lot say it will need a map but a number of people who have done it say it was fine with out being remapped , you will obviously benefit power wise more when it had been mapped , changing the up pipe may or may not have any effect map wise on your current map , all cars are different , if it was me i would do the up and down pipe , the centre section silencer delete has no effect on the map as after the o2 sensor , i would then pay 50 or 60£ and make sure it's running ok hopfully it is and get a re map later , if i did get it fitted i would reset the ecu which on new age and classics can be done with no tools at home , new age is disconnect battery pump brake pedal and leave for an hour and it seems to work , sports cats help a bit and as its only a bit may not effect the current map or the current map may just compensate for it , a decat yes you would have to map , hope that helps , good luck with wedding , if other halfs a petrol head i'm sure it will be fine car wise
Old 19 October 2016, 04:19 PM
aaron_ions
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vxr2010
you could always fit it and get the map checked and see if it's ok , it sounds cheaper to get it all done now when it's apart , only downside if it's not running ok you will need to map then , in the long run i would think it's cheaper to do it now even with a wedding coming up or you will only have to pay some one later to put on what you want to , i have read up on people putting down pipe sports cats on , a lot say it will need a map but a number of people who have done it say it was fine with out being remapped , you will obviously benefit power wise more when it had been mapped , changing the up pipe may or may not have any effect map wise on your current map , all cars are different , if it was me i would do the up and down pipe , the centre section silencer delete has no effect on the map as after the o2 sensor , i would then pay 50 or 60£ and make sure it's running ok hopfully it is and get a re map later , if i did get it fitted i would reset the ecu which on new age and classics can be done with no tools at home , new age is disconnect battery pump brake pedal and leave for an hour and it seems to work , sports cats help a bit and as its only a bit may not effect the current map or the current map may just compensate for it , a decat yes you would have to map , hope that helps , good luck with wedding , if other halfs a petrol head i'm sure it will be fine car wise
Thanks for that mate. I've come to the decision that I will get the down pipe put on during the clutch job. Then if i do get any problems I can put the 3rd cat back in to tie me over till the rest goes on and gets mapped