Notices

Uprated fuel pump.

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2016, 12:06 PM
Evansawd
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uprated fuel pump.

Have bought a HRC 255 and looking to fit soon but have few basic questions, apologies for covering old threads and questions but just thought id put some info into one place for anyone else querying...

1) is very straight forward to fit and cheers for previous threads for guides. However....my old pump cradle seems to have a little black box with a black and blue wire. Simple enough to trace that the oe red and blue connects to the red and both oe blacks to black. From what I read the small black box (10mmx10mm) screwed to the cradle is a 12v to 9v stepper used on some classics.....can anyone confirm this. Read mixed research saying to leave there and connect all wire's to new pump. Also read it's not needed.....

Also regarding FPR upgrade and remapping......obviously any mod would ideally require an alteration in the map but would a simple ECU reset be enough for just the pump upgrade. Does the pump definitely require an upgraded FPR? Running rich until it's remapped is surely better than running lean?

Cheers for any input, trying to find a definitive answer has taken up my weekend regardless of all the threads I've read.
Old 27 June 2016, 12:31 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Id junk the HRC they seem to be problematic and will take your engine with it should the worst happen. Get yourself a scoobyworx pump (trader on here) not sure about the black box as I dont remember seeing one of any of my classics. No you dont necessarily need an adjustable fpr to go with the pump, should be fine to drive around at a minimum I would get the fueling checked with a dyno run and see if it needs a remap
Old 27 June 2016, 12:51 PM
Evansawd
Scooby Regular

Bit late now as the hrc is ready to be installed. Have done a lot of reading and they are getting really good reviews :/
Have been very helpful with customer service I have to say.

The box i described is as shown in this pic just wondered if anyone else encountered the same. Apparently not all models had them on.
Also have booked onto the esl couse in July and will be running their daught board so can tweek it all after that (fingers crossed)

Last edited by Evansawd; 27 June 2016 at 12:58 PM.
Old 27 June 2016, 01:27 PM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Suppresion capacitor maybe.
Old 27 June 2016, 07:19 PM
Darrell@Scoobyworx
Authorised Trader

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HRC were good but i have seen a lot of problems form them on here recently.

Your has the larger style classic pump so it will take a little more effort in fitting but it still an easy job
Old 29 June 2016, 08:35 PM
Evansawd
Scooby Regular

Bit late reply apologies.

Well I'll hoping my hrc will be OK, fingers crossed aye.

As for the older bigger pump Yeh was a ltitle fiddly but Yeh easy sailing. I left the 'whatever it was black box' / suppression capacitor in place and soldered into and put some heat shrink around. All in and running fine after some fidoling to get the fuel lines back on and then realising the clamps werent on so had to remove and redo with hose clamps ha ha.

All in all about 45mins start to finish
Old 30 June 2016, 08:33 AM
veerinder9
Scooby Regular

Few ppl have had issues but my hrc 340lph has been perfect. Ran it in my old uk turbo 3 yrs ago running 320bhp. Then the same fuel pump from my old car in my p1 fr two years with no issues at 440bhp and 500bhp.
Have now only removed as gone bigger for more power.
Old 30 June 2016, 02:18 PM
Evansawd
Scooby Regular

I'm not looking for silly power, the magic 330 is enough for me. Have all the supporting mods and just put the hrc 255. Will see how it goes