Notices

Rebuild of ej207 - to stroke or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2016, 01:37 PM
mapa
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuild of ej207 - to stroke or not?

Heyo, I'm sure this has been discussed a lot, but I couldn't find most of the information I'm looking for...

Long story short - as I was looking around for bits to bolt on my sti, the blue smoke when cold increased a lot... and it turned out it consumed about 1.5l of oil for the past 7k km. Aside from that there is a piston knock which is also quiet louder now. The turbo and oil lines are fine - we checked them a couple of months ago when fixing a intake and vacuum leak.

It's time to build the motor and I really can't decide on which route to take (different opinions everywhere), since my budget is not unlimited and the end goal is 350-450whp for a track/weekend car. I will not be changing the turbo as of now, just prepare the bottom end for the near future.

The stock crank should be fine, but this will be verified when the motor is out end of next week. My original idea was to drop cosworth internals, gaskets and acl bearings, and perhaps springs/lifters/cams if my budget allows it. Or I can get OE ej257 crank and cheaper internals?

1. Since the difference between cosworth (pistons + rods) and je/wiseco/k1/mahle will pretty much cover the price for a new crank, are the ~100cc worth the effort and is it hard to achieve it without a "kit"?

2. How reliable is the ej257 compared to the ej207 one?

3. Is it actually worth paying cosworth prices? Even if I don't get a new crank I'm not aiming for some crazy numbers... spending less now means new turbo sooner

ps. The car is non widetrack '05 sti with 6spd and dccd
Old 11 May 2016, 03:57 PM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

Yes its worth doing, you gain spool and torque from a 2.1.
Old 11 May 2016, 03:59 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

How do you have a non-widetrack sti WITH DCCD ?

I was sure DCCD was widetrack only ??
Old 12 May 2016, 08:22 AM
mapa
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by wms-racing
Yes its worth doing, you gain spool and torque from a 2.1.
Yep, we already decided to go that way and the build should start by the end of next week

As for the DCCD - all I know is that all the parts on the car are the original ones (double checked at subaru dealer), the car left the factory on 10/2014 and it has 5x100 + DCCD...