Notices

Drop links for Forester STI?

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2016, 10:33 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Drop links for Forester STI?

Long shot I know, but does anyone have any recommendations for uprated drop links to suit my 2004 Forester SG9 STI?

After upgrading loads of bushes and fitting a 22mm Whiteline ARB on the rear of my 2004 Forester STI I'm looking to upgrade the front & rear drop links.

I've been doing quite a bit of searching but it seems nobody makes good uprated rear drop links for these cars. I have the CDF (alloy arm) kit for my impreza WRX and Chris from CDF tells me the front links are the same and should fit the Forester, but he doesn't currently make anything to fit the rear.

I've also been chatting to Darell from Scoobyworx who tells me there is no real option for the rear upgrades apart from a Superpro TRC1025 uprated ball joint kit (link below).

http://www.superpro.com.au/find/supe...-999500865/vid-

Apparently they are not in the UK yet, but are expected to be somewhere around the £90 mark. I've used Superpro before and they have been good, but saw on another forum that someone had a bad experience with Superpro links.

Anyone got any recommendations for uprated front & rear drop links?

I'll be fitting the stronger Whiteline ARB mount on the rear too at some point

Thanks.
Old 17 March 2016, 07:38 PM
Darrell@Scoobyworx
Authorised Trader

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As i said on the phone you will get good and bad from all manufacturers as people only tend to post about problems. SuperPro for me are far superior quality wise but everybody will have their own opinion
Old 17 March 2016, 08:45 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Hi Darrell, my post was in no way a negative comment about Superpro as everything I've had of theirs to date has been superb and I couldn't recommend them more. Also, your service, price and support have been second to none every time I've bough my bits from you or chatted to you. You are my number one go to parts guy now! Lol. Didn't even shop around. :-)

You managed to find the Superpro updated rear drop links for me which so far look like my only option for the SG9 forester STI other than standard Subaru ones. The only point of this thread was to see if anyone else knew of, or had used anything on these cars that could be recommended. I've done loads of searching over the last couple of weeks with no luck so far.

Let me know when you get a firm price for the Superpro rear drops and I'll have a price for whatever front drops you'd also recommend (probably CDF). I'll probably end up ordering from you again anyhow. Thank you.
Old 17 March 2016, 08:50 PM
Darrell@Scoobyworx
Authorised Trader

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
Hi Darrell, my post was in no way a negative comment about Superpro as everything I've had of theirs to date has been superb and I couldn't recommend them more. Also, your service, price and support have been second to none every time I've bough my bits from you or chatted to you. You are my number one go to parts guy now! Lol. Didn't even shop around. :-)

You managed to find the Superpro updated rear drop links for me which so far look like my only option for the SG9 forester STI other than standard Subaru ones. The only point of this thread was to see if anyone else knew of, or had used anything on these cars that could be recommended. I've done loads of searching over the last couple of weeks with no luck so far.

Let me know when you get a firm price for the Superpro rear drops and I'll have a price for whatever front drops you'd also recommend (probably CDF). I'll probably end up ordering from you again anyhow. Thank you.
I didn't take it negatively matey just subscribing really :-)
Old 17 March 2016, 10:32 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

Have you not considered these....

http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_...LC139&sq=15512

A thread worth reading/looking through.............(if you haven't do ne so already)

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...stralia-58144/
Old 17 March 2016, 11:56 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Thanks Don.

Looks like the Whiteline KLC32 links should fit according to your 2nd link. I'd prefer solid links like these over ball joint versions if I'm honest. Certainly looks like an option!

Cheers.
Old 18 March 2016, 12:18 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

The Whiteline items are clearly labelled as front links only, but on your link it shows a picture of these most certainly fitted to the rear. Whiteline quote the overall length as 65mm between mounting points. I've just measured my CDF front links and they also measure as 65mm like the whiteline items. So, by virtue the CDF front links should fit the rear of my SG9.

However..... when I was chatting to Chris from CDF I sent him a picture of my standard rear links (and my rear setup which is the same as the car in your 2nd link). Chris was confident he didn't make any links that would fit the rear of my car!

Confused.
Old 18 March 2016, 12:18 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Old 23 March 2016, 05:27 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Well after much deliberation I've now taken the plunge and ordered the Whiteline bits from Scoobyworx

Whiteline KBR18-22 heavy duty rear ARB mount
Whiteline KLC32 solid type drop links for the front
Whiteline KLC32 solid type drop links for the rear (will see if they fit)!

Thanks Darrell.
Old 17 April 2016, 11:49 PM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So do they fit?
Old 18 April 2016, 12:16 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

No idea yet. Been plagued with things taking up my time like 2 kids with chicken pox, holiday, working on my Impreza and now the Forester is at my Subaru garage having the whole fuel system updated and checked after I found a leak this weekend. Suspension bits been dropped in priority now sadly.

As soon as I get a chance I'll get them fitted and post on this thread to let you know. Cheers.
Old 05 May 2016, 08:56 PM
adam1942
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know you you said you'd update the thread but I'm also needing drop links as mine are making a horrible clunking noise! The existing rubber is completely ruined.

Subbing for when you update
Old 06 May 2016, 08:47 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Sorry for the delay, but Subaru still have my car 4 weeks on now as it's still awaiting parts on back order from Japan. Just my luck. Also negotiating now on a new set of coilovers for the car. If I get these I'll get everything fitted at the same time and will post back on this thread with a review as soon as possible.

Thanks
Old 06 June 2016, 09:51 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Just wanted to update this thread as I've finally had a chance to fit my whiteline KLC32 solid links to the rear of the Forester STI. They fit great and I'm very pleased to say that the ride is silky smooth and much improved over standard. Really good upgrade this, no issues whatsoever fitting these on my FSTI. Hardest job was removing the old worn links.

Can highly recommend the whiteline solid links as an upgrade. The only comment I would make to people who are considering doing this is that these were fitted to my FSTI which have the uprated alloy bottom arms. I have seen pictures of people fitting these to non STI models with steel arms too. The only problems with the steel arms is that the bottom arm mounting brackets can eventually fatigue and break free from the arms as these links are not very forgiving. So please be aware.

Anyhow, a picture of one link fitted below. Should also add that I also have a whiteline 22mm adjustable arb on the rear, whiteline heavy duty arb mounts, whiteline subframe locking bolts & whiteline top strut brace fitted to the car. Ride is awesome now! Very pleased indeed.

Last edited by BrownPantsRacing; 06 June 2016 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06 June 2016, 09:53 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

I also see no reason at all why the CDF straight links in my pic above would not also fit this application. Chris from CDF said they would not, but they are the same length and spec as the whiteline versions, so should fit too.
Old 07 June 2016, 08:29 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good feedback, and as I'm the sprucing my FSTi up a bit am considering this DL option too

The Whiteline design is a superior one to the CDF which do not have radiused ends on the bushes, effectively limiting droop

I am also considering uprating both arbs. I presently run a thicker rear (19? can't quite remember just now), but while I have been generally pleased, I find it gives just a little too much rear rotation, and initial turn-in while is solid as far as steering response, drops the car into suspension travel before responding positively.

How do you find yours?
Old 07 June 2016, 08:56 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

I stuck with the standard front ARB on mine as it's 20mm already and anything bigger would just make the suspension too stiff for our UK roads. IMO you should always have a lightly larger rear ARB which is why I opted for the 22mm adjustable whiteline unit. Until now I wasn't happy with the results if I'm honest, but I now know that to be due to badly installed failing standard drop links.

Now I've fixed these issues I haven't had a chance to push the car to it's limits, but can already feel it's much more predictable. It still doesn't slide and oversteer as much as my Impreza, which if I'm honest suits my driving style/preferences more. So I'm leaving things as they are as next on the list is the coilover MeisterR upgrade planned next week. Will see how things go from there.

But overall, a MASSIVE improvement. Much improved over the standard drop links. I highly recommend this upgrade front & rear.
Old 07 June 2016, 09:41 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Just ordered the Whiteline KLC32 for the rear as I want to try that first. Have a rear imbalance left/right which I'm trying to iron out
Old 07 June 2016, 10:05 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Cool. Let us know how you get on. Hope it sorts the issue out. When you say imbalance, what exactly do you mean? Ride height side to side, spring rate/feel of shock, or the way it corners?

Have you had the 4 wheel tracking done yet?
Old 07 June 2016, 10:23 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Will do

Going around left-hand bends is fine - nice and solid, can really lean it in. RH ones if I throttle off the rear (NS) 'drops' and diagonally tips the car, going towards oversteer!

I've had different suspension completely all round and the same characteristic is there. Had three different techs look at all the bushings, DL's and no play/signs of wear...

Edit: (Oh, and more Subaru 4 wheel alignments than most have in a lifetime )

Last edited by bonesetter; 07 June 2016 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07 June 2016, 10:48 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Very odd. I'd be changing the front & rear ARB bushes for uprated new ones to start with, and the drop links like you're already doing. Go from there I'd say. Have you checked all the chassis mounts are ok and not snapped? Very odd, oversteer is normally caused by the rear being too stiff, almost as if your shock is too stiff or suspension not being compliant. I'd normally expect worn parts with more play to give less oversteer.
Old 07 June 2016, 11:27 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Agreed - odd. I too considered the front and had that checked on a ramp, as well as me having a pull prod push. All seems good

One time at my alignment garage I explained the issue and he took all 4 corners through their travel individually. Good thing to see, and all working well

Rear DL's a good thing to do though, especially considering my driving style
Old 07 June 2016, 11:39 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Just to say, My rarb is a 22mm adjustable (Whiteline) so has poly buhes

Also is on the middle setting. I did try it on the soft setting, but the bar fouled the control arm
Old 07 June 2016, 12:19 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Ah right. You should be ok then. Certainly try the drop links if the ARB bushes are new then.
Old 10 June 2016, 10:34 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Hey Brownpants, in your pic above, there seems to be space between the bar flat and the bush?
Old 11 June 2016, 08:32 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

It's a camera trick. You can see the soft setting hole empty as it's an adjustable ARB and it's set on the middle setting. Just a trick of the light as its all done up fine.

All the links are fitted as whiteline suggest in their instructions, with the exception of the front bottom bolt which was spun the other way on both sides and now facing outwards. This just gives more room and less chance of the bolt contacting the front arb. I've seen this done before and I'd recommend doing it when fitting these links.
Old 11 June 2016, 11:16 PM
poffer1
Scooby Regular

That is a lovely looking Forester. You seem to be getting stuck in on the handling too...

When you fit the coil-overs, do you have any plans for the Pedders units you are taking off? If not, please give me a shout.

Pete
Old 12 June 2016, 08:00 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by poffer1
That is a lovely looking Forester. You seem to be getting stuck in on the handling too...

When you fit the coil-overs, do you have any plans for the Pedders units you are taking off? If not, please give me a shout.

Pete
Many thanks.

If the coilover don't work or are just not right for the car then I'll be putting the pedders back on it I think. If I'm happy with the Meister coilovers then I've already got a buyer lined up who wants my peddlers and I've promised him he can have them. If for any reason that falls through I'll let you know.

Thanks
Old 12 June 2016, 08:47 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

I have a set of Bilstein B14 coilovers and springs for a Forester FS
Old 12 June 2016, 10:32 AM
poffer1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
Many thanks.

If the coilover don't work or are just not right for the car then I'll be putting the pedders back on it I think. If I'm happy with the Meister coilovers then I've already got a buyer lined up who wants my peddlers and I've promised him he can have them. If for any reason that falls through I'll let you know.

Thanks
Thanks for letting me know and good luck with the ongoing mods. Will be interesting to see how it develops.

Quick Reply: Drop links for Forester STI?