Notices

Changing coolant without getting air locks (Newage)

Search this Thread

Old 03 May 2016, 09:49 PM
scoober101
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Changing coolant without getting air locks (Newage)

It seems the Scooby cooling system can be rather difficult to refill to avoid any air locks and many different procedures have been posted around the internet. Just recently I drained and refilled the coolant on my 2008 STI Hatchback and managed to get a big air lock forcing the coolant to overfill into the Reservoir Tank/Expansion Tank and spill out the top cap! Doh, my bad!

The top rad hose was roasting hot and the bottom rad hose was stone cold so I drained it and started again. This time I downloaded the service workshop manual and followed the procedure step by step.

The end result, it worked!

Ive copied the page from the manual and it can be found below.

After searching on google through a massive amount of forum guides posted by users, it just got too confusing with which hose does what, the lack of accurate terminology, images and conflicting info I thought Id see what Subaru themselves would do so Im posting this up as its fair to say the Subaru workshop manual is a good resource for reliable information. Follow this guide exactly - most importantly the 'NOTE' column on the right hand side - and you should get an airlock free cooling system.

This guide should be relevant for all (?) Newage Scoobys that have the Filler Tank mounted to the left of the Intercooler.

Just to clarify:

* The Radiator Cap is a metal pressure cap on top the Radiator at the front of the car.
* The Filler Tank has a metal pressure cap and is mounted to the left of the Intercooler.
* The Reservoir Tank (or Expansion Tank) is the clear plastic tank with a plastic cap mounted on the right side of the Radiator.

* Throughout the refilling process the metal Radiator Cap should be fully on and not removed.

Hope this helps!

Name:  COSTI%20Cooling_zpsiwpcbof0.png
Views: 0
Size:  442.3 KB

Last edited by scoober101; 03 May 2016 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03 May 2016, 10:00 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I just do the kiss of death on header tank lol,. (On a classic though)
Old 04 May 2016, 08:55 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...-question.html

Third post down. Works on classic or newage. Foolproof.
Old 06 May 2016, 11:18 AM
ScottyPPP
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On mine, I fill the through the rad until its full, cap it off, then fill the header tank, start the car heaters on full hot, fan on low speed, wait for the thermostat to open, then top up, cap off the header tank, fans cycle on and off etc, jobs a good un
Old 06 May 2016, 11:21 AM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

Many ways to skin a cat.

If you know what your doing and how the system works you will be fine,

Like most things in life if you don't know what they do and how they work, it usually ends badly.