Notices

reverse manifold on a classic impreza

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2016, 11:52 AM
paulhills
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reverse manifold on a classic impreza

Hi guys, i am going for a 'clean' look engine bay (relocate battery, fusebox, water bottles etc) and want to reverse mount the inlet manifold with a fmic. I will be running a cdb with V5 STI heads, new age coil packs and V7 inlet manifold. I have a few question i hope you guys can help me with:

MANIFOLD: is there a way of telling the difference between a V7 WRX and STI manifold (i dont want to get ripped off :-) )

FRONT MOUNT INTERCOOLER: are there any fmics already made for reverse mount (doubt it, but might as well ask :-) which brands would you recommend going with?

WIRING /MAF: I will buy the coil pack conversion wiring kit (from top single coil pack to newage individual packs) and i also want to remove the maf so i can loose more pipework. I currently have n apexi ecu, which i know doesnt support mafless. Which ecu would you recommend?

INSTALLATION: i have read that you can cut the alternator or move it to the aircon pump position. Which is the best option? Any other tips on installing or where to get bits (such as manifold spacer, pipework, mounting brackets.. have a feeling most of this i will need to have custom made)

Old 16 March 2016, 02:49 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

1. no difference between the manifold itself but the sti has tgv less tumblers so flow a little better, buy from a breaker like Matty MB Developments on here and you dont need to worry about getting ripped off

2. I would go for a hybrid hdi 2 fmic if budget is a consideration, if budget is not a consideration lateral performance do a setup which lets you make your own pipework and have it as short as possible.

3. I would go with an alcatek ecu, it supports mafless and is cost effective too

4. Alyn as AS Performance can supply the reverse mount alternator brackets from memory

My setup using an Airtec Rs500 intercooler and custom rad

Name:  IMAG0276_zpsmll5v74d.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  267.0 KB
Old 16 March 2016, 03:17 PM
scoobypaul_temp
Scooby Regular

Hi Paul,

I did send you a PM yesterday - I have a V5/6 Simtek which would be good for what you need.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 17 March 2016, 11:15 AM
paulhills
Scooby Regular

Thanks Banny! I bought a 6 speed conversion from mb developments.. whilst i was there i looked at the cars they were working on which has inspired me to go for the clean look. I will ask matty for the inlet. Your set up looks awesome. To keep the alternator where it is, did you have to cut it? Or just use a bracket and longer belt?
Old 17 March 2016, 11:21 AM
paulhills
Scooby Regular

Thanks paul, ill probably wait until the engine is ready (collecting parts now and they will need refurbing, painting etc, so a couple of months before it will be ready) and then buy ecu, as i wont be able to test/use it until then
Old 17 March 2016, 11:24 AM
scoobypaul_temp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulhills
Thanks paul, ill probably wait until the engine is ready (collecting parts now and they will need refurbing, painting etc, so a couple of months before it will be ready) and then buy ecu, as i wont be able to test/use it until then
No worries Paul - drop me a PM if there is anything you are after now, as I do have quite a few bits for a V5/6 classic and I am only about 40 mins from you (in Milton Keynes).

Cheers,

Paul
Old 17 March 2016, 02:59 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by paulhills
Thanks Banny! I bought a 6 speed conversion from mb developments.. whilst i was there i looked at the cars they were working on which has inspired me to go for the clean look. I will ask matty for the inlet. Your set up looks awesome. To keep the alternator where it is, did you have to cut it? Or just use a bracket and longer belt?
I think matt may still do the alternator relocation brackets too, mine was made when the engine was swapped out and uses a longer belt
Old 17 March 2016, 10:00 PM
tom-r33
Scooby Regular

Hi! This is a can of worms, i've done several and everything you move has a knock on effect, you end up modifying things you never thought you'd need to, just to get everything to work..... best of luck with it, you'l know the engine bay inside out by the time you've finished

out of interest, why do you want to use a v7 inlet manifold?
Old 18 March 2016, 07:43 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tom-r33
Hi! This is a can of worms, i've done several and everything you move has a knock on effect, you end up modifying things you never thought you'd need to, just to get everything to work..... best of luck with it, you'l know the engine bay inside out by the time you've finished

out of interest, why do you want to use a v7 inlet manifold?
This basically....

It can be diyed if you have the knowledge and equipment to be able to fabricate, tweak, extend, relocate etc.

But it will take a longggggg time.
Old 19 March 2016, 03:14 PM
paulhills
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, tom a few people have told me to go V7 as the flow is better than V5/6.
I'm sure I will be posting questions during the build as a come across issues.. I'm guessing on the whole build being about a 2 yr project, so prepared for it to take a long time (I will start a project thread soon)