Notices

Fitting oil catch can(s) - a question . . . .

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2016, 04:32 PM
TylerD529
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fitting oil catch can(s) - a question . . . .

Considering fitting an oil catch can - but here's my query(s)

1. Is it better to fit two separate cans, one in the rocker breathers and one in the crankcase - or just have both running into the one can?

2. Should you take this opportunity to do away with the PCV at the throttle body and just vent all the gasses through the can without the on boost / off boost variation?

I intend on having the outlet from the catch can(s) still returning the cleaner air back into the intake tract rather than being vented to atmosphere.

Also i've used the search and read all the threads it has thrown up - always good to get fresh ideas though
Old 18 March 2016, 07:29 PM
madwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1. 1 can works fine
2. the whole idea of a catch can is to isolate the engine fumes from the inlet air

if you see the state of the contents of a catchcan you wont let it anywhere near your air inlet,almost defeats the object. oily petrol soaked mayonaise .you,ll be surprised how quick it fills the can though .mine fills in about 2 months to overflowing.lol

main dis advantage of the can is the stench that comes from the vent pipe,yurrrrch,
many people use a 3 port can ,teed together head vents and crankcase vent to its own port. third port for venting under car .
Old 18 March 2016, 07:38 PM
madwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

oh and dont buy cheap ebay cans that have 15mm pipe stubs that close down inside to 7or 8mm
dirty air needs a good clean path or will just fill up your; pipework leading to the can.

Last edited by madwrx; 18 March 2016 at 07:39 PM. Reason: incorrect spelling