Is it the wheel bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2016, 10:48 PM
G10
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Is it the wheel bearings?

Can anyone help.

When I'm corning at slow speeds (hence it's quiet) I can hear a dim whirling noise from the front wheels, regardless of the direction I am turning in. On previous motors I have put this down to worn wheel bearings, however when the car is parked I can't feel any play in the wheels I've experienced in bearing wear on other cars.

Is this the wheel bearings or something different? It it a big job. I've changed break calipers before and a radiator fan? is it a similar difficulty level?

The car is a 2006 Hawkeye WRX, with 100k on the clock.
Thanks, Gio
Old 13 February 2016, 07:14 AM
Scubarroo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by G10
Can anyone help.

When I'm corning at slow speeds (hence it's quiet) I can hear a dim whirling noise from the front wheels, regardless of the direction I am turning in. On previous motors I have put this down to worn wheel bearings, however when the car is parked I can't feel any play in the wheels I've experienced in bearing wear on other cars.

Is this the wheel bearings or something different? It it a big job. I've changed break calipers before and a radiator fan? is it a similar difficulty level?

The car is a 2006 Hawkeye WRX, with 100k on the clock.
Thanks, Gio
I'm no good at diagnosing wheel bearings as I changed mine and the noise is still there but what I do know is that a bearing will start to make noise before it has any distinguishable play. If had play you left it for way to long.
Old 13 February 2016, 11:18 AM
G10
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scubarroo
I'm no good at diagnosing wheel bearings as I changed mine and the noise is still there but what I do know is that a bearing will start to make noise before it has any distinguishable play. If had play you left it for way to long.
Thanks pal, I don't want to go through the rigmarole of changing the wheel bearings if it's not them. I think I'll wait for a bit of play to develop for confirmation, and see if it gets any louder.
Cheers
Old 13 February 2016, 11:40 AM
Scubarroo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing that springs to mind is check the fluid level level for the power steering as I had a leak on my steering rack and when the fluid level got low the steering pump whined when I turned the steering wheel. Long shot but worth look.
Old 13 February 2016, 07:40 PM
G10
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scubarroo
One thing that springs to mind is check the fluid level level for the power steering as I had a leak on my steering rack and when the fluid level got low the steering pump whined when I turned the steering wheel. Long shot but worth look.
I'll check it out, thanks.