Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2016, 07:38 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Changing backbox on hawk JDM

Just picked up a
hawk JDM hawk JDM
with a decatted Milltek with resonators. Although reviews I've read of the Milltek praise its sound, I find it much less pleasing than my blob JDM which has a decat H&S system with no resonators. The Hawk is more gruff, harsh and ordinary sounding compared with the blob which is smoother and more like a thoroughbred, if that makes any sense.

I have read that changing the backbox only not a good idea...am I better off with an entire new system?

If I can change backbox only - would an H&S backbox sound mated to a resonated Milltek centre sound anything like a full H&S unresonated system?
Old 08 February 2016, 09:20 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

the resonators in the center section will always eat up the sound regardless of what box you put on the back of it.

what milltek system do you have it may be cheaper to flog the whole thing complete and replace it with something that is a little less resonated.
Old 10 February 2016, 12:49 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

If you want more noise, the cheapest option would be to have the resonator cut out and replaced with a straight through section. Any decent fabrication/performance centre should be able to do this pretty cheaply imo.
Old 10 February 2016, 01:19 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaun
If you want more noise, the cheapest option would be to have the resonator cut out and replaced with a straight through section. Any decent fabrication/performance centre should be able to do this pretty cheaply imo.
I'm not necessarily looking for more noise, but rather to change the quality of noise - the Hawk sounds more "ordinary" and a bit "harsh" compared to the blob which sounds more "thoroughbred" if that makes sense. Just wondering if that's down to the resonator or whether a change of backbox would help.