Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FMIC gains question

I have a blobeye with the following mods -

MD321T turbo
850cc injectors
gt2 spec headers and uppipe
perrin intake
3" decat system

The car is currently running approx 420. I realise that this is around the limit of the top mount intercooler so i am changing to a fmic but just wanted to know if i would be right in thinking that the gains would be 15-20bhp? I know nothing is set in stone but from searching it seems this is the norm?
The car is also on standard internals and i realise 450ish is the max for the engine, i plan to run it until something happens and then rebuild

I also need a new induction now as my cold air feed wont be able to stay due to fmic piping. Any suggestions? i was thinking perrin short ram as it looks like a wing mounted one is not an option now?

Thanks for the input

Last edited by cam87; 08 January 2016 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08 January 2016, 08:23 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Sensible limit for a top mount is 350 IMHO.

FMIC will need map tweak. Do you have the Harvey trick up-pipe? Worth having......
Old 08 January 2016, 08:57 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Yes you should see gains when changing to a fmic
Old 08 January 2016, 09:49 PM
cam87
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies. Yes i have the trick up pipe too and it will be remapped again to suit the fmic

I have ordered the mishimoto fmic but after looking it lists it to fit 01-07 wrx/sti but doesnt list ej207, however it does list ej205 so i assume pipe routing should be the same? i'll check this in the morning too but if anyone in the meantime could advise?

Thanks

Last edited by cam87; 08 January 2016 at 09:50 PM.
Old 28 February 2016, 10:13 AM
TIZERBOY
Scooby Regular

How was the fitting of the mishimoto fmic mate???
Old 28 February 2016, 08:34 PM
cam87
Scooby Regular

its not been fitted yet mate, it will be this week though and i will report back
Old 16 March 2016, 09:11 PM
Discover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cam87
its not been fitted yet mate, it will be this week though and i will report back
How did this go mate?
Old 17 March 2016, 04:40 AM
cam87
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Discover
How did this go mate?
Sorry, feedback with that it was a good bit of kit. The core was of high quality also and fitting was not a pain in the **** like some are. Fitting took them around 5 hours.
Old 20 March 2016, 01:40 AM
madwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

tbh i,ll be amazed if it increses power by anything like 20hp. unless the top mount was completely heat soaked the frony mount will probably only be a similar size but sited in a much better place in the airflow . its more likely to enable you to have the 420 number more of the time and the ecu not pulling timing for high inlet temps.
with the winter temps we,ve had lately you may not notice much differemce other than adding a touch more lag (extra 3 metre induction pipe)
i would say 450 is a higher than average number for a 321t going by other snet cars equipped with this turbo. some make the numbers some dont.

obviously this is across a wide spectrum of cars tested on different days on different dynos by different tuners ,
a little map tweek rarely makes 30BHP ,thats the kind of numbers found by adding meth or adding more suitable parts to the mix
Old 20 March 2016, 07:57 AM
cam87
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by madwrx
tbh i,ll be amazed if it increses power by anything like 20hp. unless the top mount was completely heat soaked the frony mount will probably only be a similar size but sited in a much better place in the airflow . its more likely to enable you to have the 420 number more of the time and the ecu not pulling timing for high inlet temps.
with the winter temps we,ve had lately you may not notice much differemce other than adding a touch more lag (extra 3 metre induction pipe)
i would say 450 is a higher than average number for a 321t going by other snet cars equipped with this turbo. some make the numbers some dont.

obviously this is across a wide spectrum of cars tested on different days on different dynos by different tuners ,
a little map tweek rarely makes 30BHP ,thats the kind of numbers found by adding meth or adding more suitable parts to the mix
I agree with a lot of what you say but the fmic is a lot bigger than the original top mount. One of the main benefits I see with the fmic is in summer the cooling efficiency will be much better. As we know with all cars the cooler the air the more oxygen it carries. It's no good having a 440bhp car in winter and a 400bhp car in summer because of cooling inefficiency. There is definitely a noticeable difference in the car and low down torque has improved. Another factor us how good the mapper is but some lag is inevitable, the turbo now takes an extra 200rpm to get up and go but mine is the billet version.
As for power I don't know as I haven't done a before and after but I can tell the difference.

Last edited by cam87; 20 March 2016 at 08:08 AM.
Old 21 March 2016, 11:18 PM
madwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lol sorry was,nt trying to be a smartarse ,the benefits of a good front mount to an elderly top mount are well known ,top mount must be at its limit at 420 ,any improvement to cool inlet charge will give you more power more of the time.

i was only trying to say that 20 brake will require more than a front mount once you get into the 400s .more boost and timing sir
A FRESH standard engine will take 400s for many thousands of miles,the main advantage of forging is that it includes a bottom end rebuild for the money, starting again with a zero miles engine with better clearances and tolerances and with better parts.
a friend at work ran a standard bottom end bugeye well above 400 brake to 115000 miles before he started losing compression ,even then it did,nt die for another 10k miles
sounds like a good spec car there mate
Old 27 March 2016, 11:55 AM
MrBlobby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cam87
Thanks for the replies. Yes i have the trick up pipe too and it will be remapped again to suit the fmic

I have ordered the mishimoto fmic but after looking it lists it to fit 01-07 wrx/sti but doesnt list ej207, however it does list ej205 so i assume pipe routing should be the same? i'll check this in the morning too but if anyone in the meantime could advise?

Thanks
I bought this kit a few months back but still waiting to fit until I've collected all parts.

It's also going on a blobeye, did you refit your fog lamp covers after install? I messaged mishimoto about this before purchase and they couldn't give a definite answer if you could or not..I know you lose the fogs if you have them. Very nice looking kit though.

I went with the kit that included the intake. What did you end up with in the end? I'm just unsure if the standard filter will fit the power I'm after.

Going for very similar spec to yourself. Got rcm headers, 850 injectors, Harvey up pipe, and full 3 inch system. Got this front mount kit and bigger fuel pump. Just need the turbo and few other small bits to sort but got most parts together now.