Notices

Romraider to tell if running lean?

Search this Thread

Old 14 December 2015, 09:01 AM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Romraider to tell if running lean?

I was wondering if anyone could advise how to use RomRaider to check if the engine is running lean?

Is it the A/F Sensor #1 (AFR) field?

From logging it looks like most values are around 14.5 - with a low value of 11.25 when on full boost followed by values of 23 right after coming off boost. Learning View doesn't show any knock correction at all (all values in the table are 0) and IAM is at 16.

I've got a PPP standard map on a 05 WRX but changed the up-pipe to a STI one and now peak boost is up at 1.4 bar.

Many thanks.

Last edited by Scotsman; 14 December 2015 at 09:04 AM.
Old 16 December 2015, 08:18 PM
DT-SPD
Scooby Regular

Use learning view to see what the fuel adaptions are. Dead easy to use, just plug in and run it. You can post your findings in the mapping section and get everyone's feedback.

I suggest looking to remap it for the new up-pipe, just to make sure it's ok and get that boost under control.
Old 17 December 2015, 07:55 AM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Many thanks - I posted my learning view under this thread: https://www.scoobynet.com/1028525-boosting-issue-2.html

Everything seems to look ok, but I'll probably take it to a dyno into the new year to check the AFR.

Cheers
Richard
Old 17 December 2015, 01:44 PM
euan_r
Scooby Regular

pretty sure learning view is just closed loop throttle and a wee bit into open loop. i certainly wouldnt be using it to check if car is running lean, more for intake leaks etc at cruise/idle.

better just using a normal log and wideband.
Old 17 December 2015, 03:46 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Normal log looks fine I believe, but gettig a wideband AFR check is a good steer. Thanks.
Old 17 December 2015, 03:50 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

as above, learning view will generally only show you closed loop corrections to specific MAF ranges (a/b/c/d). The A/F sensor #1 is the front O2 which has quite a wide range but you can't really use it to check your on boost fuel accuratly as it doesn't get a good reading on boost thanks to it being stuffed up in the headers instead of being behind the turbo.

You can move the sensor behind the turbo (top of the downpipe, some downpipes have a bung there for it) and you'll get a more reliable reading. Best way is to use a proper wideband sensor though as then you can trust the calibration to give you a more correct reading.
Old 17 December 2015, 04:08 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bludgod
as above, learning view will generally only show you closed loop corrections to specific MAF ranges (a/b/c/d). The A/F sensor #1 is the front O2 which has quite a wide range but you can't really use it to check your on boost fuel accuratly as it doesn't get a good reading on boost thanks to it being stuffed up in the headers instead of being behind the turbo.

You can move the sensor behind the turbo (top of the downpipe, some downpipes have a bung there for it) and you'll get a more reliable reading. Best way is to use a proper wideband sensor though as then you can trust the calibration to give you a more correct reading.
Didn't realise that the sensor could be moved -