Classic uk turbo rear brake pipe replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09 December 2015, 11:16 PM
Paulgeorge01
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Classic uk turbo rear brake pipe replacement

Hi All,

Placed this thread on the wheels,tyres & brakes section of the forum yesterday - 66 views & no reply so thought I would try it in this section of the forum. Again any help much appreciated.

1999 uk classic turbo v5 first of ej205 engines.

Mot time again & both rear brake pipes need replacing (received as advisory last year).

I am planning to do the work myself but having never replaced brake pipes before a little bit of advice if you please. I am up to speed with the procedure being a long term diy mechanic but need help with tools & type of pipe.

I am going to purchase a hand held flare tool that can be used quite easily on the car. After doing some research I am settled on the tool I’m going to buy (see links below). This manufacturer supplies the tool in both versions but I obviously need to know what version I need to buy to flare the pipes on my Scooby. Refer to information below which i foundon the internet.

Version 1 is the sae 3/16'' version used mostly on pre-95 cars.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181871055808?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageNa me=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Version 2: after 95 car manufacturers used the din 4.75bubble flare.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171983032775?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageNa me=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

They are both for 3/16 brake pipe (4.75 being the metric equivalent in millimetres of 3/16“) but the flare shapes are different.

MY car being MY 99 & going on this info you would go with version 2 of the tool but when I called up the supplier today & asked the question he couldn’t give me an definitive answer but informed me that the version 1 was a much more popular seller on a 10 to 1 basis which now has me thinking .Don’t want to purchase the wrong version of this tool.

I will be replacing both rear brake pipes from under the passenger seat on the OS of the car along their full length to where they tie in with the unions at the brake hoses on each side. Obviously when I tie into the union at the brake hoses I need to match the flare on the new brake pipes to whatever flare type is on the unions on the car (standard OEM hoses are still installed).Could someone please shine some light on what version I need?

Question 2: I plan to re-route the pipes so I don’t need to mess about following the original route over the top of the petrol tank in turn having to mess about dropping tank, diff etc. Is a mot station ok with you running complete new lines on a different route to the original route?

Question 3: Again for the purpose of passing an mot do the new lines need to be secured with clamping devices or can you save a lot of hassle & just use tie wraps?

Question 4: I see brake pipes come with different mixtures in their make-up. I see 25 m rolls of copper brake line for about £10 a roll – is this pure copper? I also see 25 m rolls of copper – nickel – kunifer mixture brake pipe for about £18 for a 25 m roll.

Here is something I read on the internet: Most cars in the uk use brake lines that are not just copper, they are copper-nickel alloy DOT approved brake line. European cars use them to avoid rusting as badly as the cheap pvc coated stuff. What type do I go for & more importantly what type passes a uk mot?

Thanks in advance, any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers Paul.
Old 10 December 2015, 05:03 PM
tomk86
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Paul, i cant be much help with most questions but as for flaring;

when i had mine done i just popped into a local motorsport place in my native birmingham (severn valley i believe they were called) and they did it for me there and then and didnt even charge so i just gave the guy a fiver for a drink. Flaring is not overly a must as clamps are more than capable.

seems silly to buy the tool when the likelyhood of using it again is next to none.

As for the MOT questions - i have asked my bro in law (Tester) about the legalities and as long as they are not leaking or corroded it does not matter about grade or positioning so long as the position does not compromise integrity. Use clamping devices due to the pressure.

Last edited by tomk86; 10 December 2015 at 05:05 PM. Reason: extra
Old 10 December 2015, 06:11 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Paulgeorge01
Question 2: I plan to re-route the pipes so I don’t need to mess about following the original route over the top of the petrol tank in turn having to mess about dropping tank, diff etc. Is a mot station ok with you running complete new lines on a different route to the original route?

Question 3: Again for the purpose of passing an mot do the new lines need to be secured with clamping devices or can you save a lot of hassle & just use tie wraps?
Brake lines on mine don't follow the original route, it's fine for it's MOT.

Don't think mine are secured, will have to check and report back. It's passed 3 MOT's since the rear brake pipes were replaced though.
Old 11 December 2015, 10:54 PM
Paulgeorge01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tomk86
Hi Paul, i cant be much help with most questions but as for flaring;

when i had mine done i just popped into a local motorsport place in my native birmingham (severn valley i believe they were called) and they did it for me there and then and didnt even charge so i just gave the guy a fiver for a drink. Flaring is not overly a must as clamps are more than capable.

seems silly to buy the tool when the likelyhood of using it again is next to none.

As for the MOT questions - i have asked my bro in law (Tester) about the legalities and as long as they are not leaking or corroded it does not matter about grade or positioning so long as the position does not compromise integrity. Use clamping devices due to the pressure.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

I’m an enthusiast & a bit old fashioned so like to carry out all my own repairs. The tool isn’t that expensive (about £33) & as I’m always messing about with old classic scoobies then I will definitely find usefor it again.

Really need to find out what flare tool I need as when cleaning lines on brake hose side tonight with wire brush prior to soaking in penetrating fluid I sprung a leak on one side so that shows how bad they are . In turn this also means I can’t move the car until I get the lines done . To make matters worse I stay in a rural location.

If I had another car I would cut the flare off the old line & go to a garage to find out if this was the double type flare or the bubble type flare but that isn’t an option as only have my Scooby. The joys of classic motoring – you got to love it.

Thanks again,
Cheers Paul
Old 11 December 2015, 10:56 PM
Paulgeorge01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mickywrx
Brake lines on mine don't follow the original route, it's fine for it's MOT.

Don't think mine are secured, will have to check and report back. It's passed 3 MOT's since the rear brake pipes were replaced though.

Thanks for the info Micky, much appreciated.

Cheers Paul .
Old 12 December 2015, 08:47 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Should have checked my car when I had the back end jacked up today.