My new Bugeye WRX

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 2015, 11:22 AM
Blocko83
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new Bugeye WRX

Good morning,

This week I decided to take a punt on a bugeye that was running a bit lumpy and flagging up a cel. Brave considering I wasn't able to pull the codes first.

I'm going to get the codes read as soon as possible but I know at the very least it will have the no CAT code due to the exhaust system. I've been searching and have read that the decat often causes no issues with the running of the car apart from throwing up the code so this has me thinking something else could be acting up.

The car drives fine when warm, a bit lumpy when holding a set rev but boosting fine and smoothly. But when cold it is very unhappy. Hunts a bit wants to stall unless revved much higher than I'd like on a cold engine. This means I have to sit waiting for it to warm up before I can go anywhere. The neighbours are not impressed...

I'm thinking possibly the MAF which in a long winded way brings me to my questions:

1. Would a decat cause the symptoms above?
  2. The car has a cone filter which probably isn't helping. Are all the wrx airboxes interchangeable? Some of the ones I've seen for sale suggest that they are.
  3. Same question for the MAF
  4. Also the radiator has seen better days. I'm presuming these are model specific? Can someone confirm.
Many thanks,
Old 03 December 2015, 12:50 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The combination of decat and an induction cone fitted and not mapped is bound to be contributing to the issue
Old 04 December 2015, 10:47 AM
Blocko83
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He guys can anyone confirm if the maf and air box are interchangeable between models? Wrx/Sti, bug/classic, U.K./import? Might have sourced some bits from a classic but want to check they are compatible. Thanks.