Flywheel and Pull clutch advise please, 320BHP

Search this Thread

Old 04 October 2015, 08:47 AM
Zebravanman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flywheel and Pull clutch advise please, 320BHP

Dear Scoobys,
I have a VW 1963 splitscreen with 2.0 Turbo VH34 IHI, it made 320BHP on the rollers and 310ft/lb tq on an Emerald ECU.

I fried my VW gearbox and now I am fitting a Subaru Gearbox from a Company in Australia who reverse the ring and pinion (Subarugears.com) . They are building me a gearbox with a pull type of clutch so therefore I need a new flywheel, clutch etc as well as a new starter motor etc..

Can you give me some advise on what I need and does it need to be lightened, the bus is my Sunday family drive and it doesn't get thrashed but it will see all the power during overtakes and going uphill etc..

Thanks in advance .

Oh, I have an 18g TD05 turbo going spare which was refirbed by CR Turbos, it looks like new and I only did about 4K running 0.9Bar so low stress, I can post photos if anyones interested.
You can see the turbo on this video.

Last edited by Zebravanman; 04 October 2015 at 09:04 AM.
Old 04 October 2015, 09:42 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Sorry, no idea about the clutch, but.......this is one of the best videos, and coolest motors I have seen on this forum in 5 years. Bloomin` fantastic.... just arguing with Mrs H about whether to go round Europe in a jdm hatch or a camper van, and this is the answer!!
Good luck with the rest of the build, I salute you !
Old 04 October 2015, 10:13 AM
Zebravanman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
Sorry, no idea about the clutch, but.......this is one of the best videos, and coolest motors I have seen on this forum in 5 years. Bloomin` fantastic.... just arguing with Mrs H about whether to go round Europe in a jdm hatch or a camper van, and this is the answer!!
Good luck with the rest of the build, I salute you !
Go for it mate - just turn the key and drive !!!! we just came back from France with the family, every year the drive gets better than the previous year (NO RUSH) . As they say in the VW scene "ONE LIFE, LIVE IT "
P.s the boy who did the video for me (he's 14) lost his dad (my best mate) in a motorbike crash then lost his mum to cancer, so give the video a like on You Tube, when you look at other peoples lives it makes you think a bit doesn't it.

Last edited by Zebravanman; 04 October 2015 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06 October 2015, 07:13 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Bumping this up, as that is just tragic; I lost my old man a bit younger than that, but mum as well.... Hope he stays strong. Might see you on the road sometime, as only up the road....thought I recognised some of the locations.
Old 11 October 2015, 09:37 AM
Zebravanman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
Bumping this up, as that is just tragic; I lost my old man a bit younger than that, but mum as well.... Hope he stays strong. Might see you on the road sometime, as only up the road....thought I recognised some of the locations.
Sorry to hear that. Im in Sherborne if you want to come and have a look.

Back on track, nobody seems to be able to help me.

Just to explain a bit more, i need a flywheel and clutch kit ( a pull style clutch) to fit an impreza turbo gearbox nothing more.
Can anyone point me in the right direction for 310 bhp please, is there a difference between the flywheels for pull and push ? And would a lightweight one be better ?
Thanks
Andy
Old 12 October 2015, 02:05 PM
Kenny Mota
Scooby Newbie

You will need a clutch and flywheel the same as an impreza turbo and the matching starter motor and maybe clutch slave cylinder as it is a hydraulic clutch on the turbo. Todd from subarugears might be able to provide some advice too.

A standard solid flywheel from a 5 speed classic impreza with a 230mm Exedy clutch kit would probably be ok, if the bus is a lot heavier than an impreza then perhaps a pink box uprated one, a lightened flywheel (either standard lightened or aftermarket) will make the engine more revvy. The starter motor might need to be the direct drive type from later classics and newage depending on how much space you have in the engine bay, the older type are bigger and may not fit in, I guess you already know this sort of stuff from doing the original conversion.

The non turbo cars have a push type clutch, the flywheel and starter have a different number of teeth to a turbo. I don't know if it is possible to have the non-turbo flywheel machined to take the turbo clutch, I know you can do it the other way around, the dowels need to be moved and I think the non-turbo clutch is smaller diameter. RJES might know the answer to this.

Later (2008 on) turbo cars also have a push clutch but if you have a VW gearbox with an adapter plate or RJES bellhousing then you most likely have a non-turbo setup at the moment.

Hope this helps.
Old 12 October 2015, 06:42 PM
Zebravanman
Scooby Regular

You will need a clutch and flywheel the same as an impreza turbo and the matching starter motor and maybe clutch slave cylinder as it is a hydraulic clutch on the turbo. Todd from subarugears might be able to provide some advice too.

A standard solid flywheel from a 5 speed classic impreza with a 230mm Exedy clutch kit would probably be ok, if the bus is a lot heavier than an impreza then perhaps a pink box uprated one, a lightened flywheel (either standard lightened or aftermarket) will make the engine more revvy. The starter motor might need to be the direct drive type from later classics and newage depending on how much space you have in the engine bay, the older type are bigger and may not fit in, I guess you already know this sort of stuff from doing the original conversion.

Many thanks, I have managed to dig out (from the depths of the garage) the original flywheel and clutch cover and clutch plate which is 225mm (off the original engine) . Can I use the original flywheel and go for a new 230mm Exedy clutch or even 240mm? would it be compatible with the original Subaru flywheel ?
I'm not sure how much room I have for the starter motor yet until I get stuck in, obviously the smaller the better for my install , which one would you recommend size wise, do the later blob eye starters fit the early EJ 20 turbos ?
Old 12 October 2015, 08:44 PM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Sheer MAGIC keep it going fantastic vehicle and video. Thankyou.(And a great choice of music)
Old 13 October 2015, 12:11 PM
Kenny Mota
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Zebravanman
Many thanks, I have managed to dig out (from the depths of the garage) the original flywheel and clutch cover and clutch plate which is 225mm (off the original engine) . Can I use the original flywheel and go for a new 230mm Exedy clutch or even 240mm? would it be compatible with the original Subaru flywheel ?
I'm not sure how much room I have for the starter motor yet until I get stuck in, obviously the smaller the better for my install , which one would you recommend size wise, do the later blob eye starters fit the early EJ 20 turbos ?
The flywheel you have should be ok with a 230mm clutch, they are all the same as far as I know before the dual mass ones(bugeye onwards), check for cracks and wear etc, might be worth having it resurfaced at a machine shop. 225mm clutches came on the early classic turbos, 230mm were later ones but same flywheel.

240mm clutches come on the 6 speed sti which have a different flywheel, think the 5 speed gearbox bellhousing needs some machining to allow the 6 speed flywheel to fit inside as it's deeper and has lugs on where the 5 speed is flat so I would stick with a 5 speed setup.

I think the starter should be ok off a blobeye as long as it's a turbo, I have not tried this though I have tried a bugeye starter on a classic and this works.
Old 13 October 2015, 06:37 PM
Zebravanman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kenny Mota
The flywheel you have should be ok with a 230mm clutch, they are all the same as far as I know before the dual mass ones(bugeye onwards), check for cracks and wear etc, might be worth having it resurfaced at a machine shop. 225mm clutches came on the early classic turbos, 230mm were later ones but same flywheel.

240mm clutches come on the 6 speed sti which have a different flywheel, think the 5 speed gearbox bellhousing needs some machining to allow the 6 speed flywheel to fit inside as it's deeper and has lugs on where the 5 speed is flat so I would stick with a 5 speed setup.

I think the starter should be ok off a blobeye as long as it's a turbo, I have not tried this though I have tried a bugeye starter on a classic and this works.

Many thanks for this its been useful for me. I can't wait to get it all working now.
Old 13 October 2015, 06:38 PM
Zebravanman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johned
Sheer MAGIC keep it going fantastic vehicle and video. Thankyou.(And a great choice of music)
No problems, hopefully the next one will be with Subaru gbox install