Notices

'You get what you pay for' 3" exhaust system.

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2015, 02:05 PM
PetrolHeadKid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 'You get what you pay for' 3" exhaust system.

Hi all,
I have seen a particular exhaust system being advertised by a couple of Ebay sellers that looks like very good value:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBARU-IMP.../230730733642?

&

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBARU-IMP.../120846289772?

Has anyone bought one of these (or knows someone that has)?

Is it any good?

Many thanks,

PHK.
Old 02 October 2015, 02:13 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...-off-ebay.html
Old 02 October 2015, 02:19 PM
PetrolHeadKid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
Hi there,
Thanks for the info - sounds like the company can be trusted and have a good reputation :-)

Anyone any experience with these exhausts in particular?

PHK.
Old 02 October 2015, 05:00 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

i'm 99% sure i've mapped a car with one of these exhaust on it - only thing I will say is it was remarkably quiet considering the size of it. Whatever silencers they have fitted really kill the sound of any pops and farts that we tried to extract from it.

He'd had it fitted to the car for donkeys and it's given him no bother - i got my old downpipe off him too and it fitted rather well considering it was for a classic (had the local exhaust shop extend my center pipe to match it).
Old 04 October 2015, 02:18 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Fit like a piece of **** to be honest. I had one presented to me to fit and it was horrendous. it got sent back needless to say
Old 05 October 2015, 02:48 PM
PetrolHeadKid
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies :-)

I guess that I will need to find a 'helpful' garage to fit it if some of the hooks aren't in the right place...

I have been in touch with the two seller on Ebay (mentioned above) and asked them abut warranty and volume of the exhausts and got the following replies:

This along with all of our other items come with a 6 month warranty from the date of purchase. Unfortunately as we do not fit items here, I cannot comment on the sound of the item.
This item is designed as a performance upgrade over standard fitted exhaust and should provide a noticeable improvement in sound as well as performance.
The system should not be too loud for your requirements but this would be down to personal preference.

&

I can confirm that this item will be louder than the standard item we offer a 6 month warranty and unfortunately we don't have a sound level for the exhaust.

PHK.
Old 05 October 2015, 02:57 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

what kind of an idea on sound level where you thinking of? I can see if I can find the guy i know who has one and maybe grab a video of it if you wanted? really I didn't find it very loud at all - sure it's a big pipe but the amount of resonator bits in just kills off any of the usual straight pipe sound effects you would expect.

On the flip side of the coin I had a bug WRX the other day with a custom hand made job and it was just pure noise even on a 2.5" pipe - not to my taste at all.

Trending Topics

Old 05 October 2015, 03:23 PM
PetrolHeadKid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bludgod
what kind of an idea on sound level where you thinking of? I can see if I can find the guy i know who has one and maybe grab a video of it if you wanted? really I didn't find it very loud at all - sure it's a big pipe but the amount of resonator bits in just kills off any of the usual straight pipe sound effects you would expect.

On the flip side of the coin I had a bug WRX the other day with a custom hand made job and it was just pure noise even on a 2.5" pipe - not to my taste at all.
Hi bludgod,
Well, I am happy with the STD sound, so don't want anything much louder TBH. I am after a 3" system as I am planning a remap next month (260-280BHP) for the first stage of tune :-)

Yes, if you are able to get in touch with this other guy that would be great :-)

I guess that I am more interested in 'stealth' than 'hey look at me' for this car :-)

Thanks again,

PHK.
Old 05 October 2015, 03:34 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

if you want stealth get a 2.5" system with a resonator and pretty much any backbox you like - 2.5" pipe will easily support your power target and the resonator will keep the noise down at idle/cruise.

I've 2.5" on my STI with a prodrive back box on and you couldn't pick it out of a crowd at idle but when you stick the boot down you know about it.

I'll fire him a message here and see if he can stick a vid up on youtube or something sure.
Old 06 October 2015, 05:05 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

You don't need a 3" system until you are running much more power. Circa 500bhp.

I'm still running a 2.5" system at 334/380 on mine.
Old 08 October 2015, 11:05 AM
PetrolHeadKid
Scooby Regular

Hi all :-)
I am planning to go to Andy Forrest for the remap. He says that a 3" is preferable for 360BHP+ (my first remap will take it up to about 280BHP, but I may do a few other mods later) The cost of the two (2.5") decat pipes on the exhaust seem to be more than the cost of buying the whole new 3" stainless steel system that I mention below...

PHK.
Old 08 October 2015, 01:43 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

not really, exhaust systems IMO are not essential to buy brand new, unless you're hell bent on a specific brand / model. They regularly come available on here in used condition, and because they're stainless are likely to be in good shape. The breakers section is where they're most frequent. The links you've posted are '92-'06 but no selectable option for which generation? IIRC the hangers are different on the newage cars so modification may be required...
Old 08 October 2015, 02:13 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

aye the rear hanger on the backbox is in the wrong place - but most of hte ebay specials just have it on a movable bracket so you can switch sides to suit. the center pipe and downpipes are different lengths between the years but if you fit both together that match it doesn't matter as overall they are the same length. But yeh 2nd hand one off here should get the job done for you.