Notices

[help] is this engine an STI or a WRX?

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2015, 08:19 PM
joaomn
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [help] is this engine an STI or a WRX?

Hi, i bought a 2002 subaru impreza wrx with a sti engine fitted on it(i hope so). I bought it because it was a decent price, and also was bought from a shop that has some good reputation on subarus.

I was aware of all the mods the car has like a bugeye->blobeye conversion, amonts others, and i was also told that the engine is an STI, that was fully rebuilt around 4000 miles ago.

The car runs great and i´m quite happy with it, but a recent visit to the dyno told me the car was making 279ps to the flywheel.(1.2bar of turbo pressure)

The previous owner told me it was around 320, and that´s where i start wondering if there´s anything else wrong in his story.

I want to believe this was some kind of error on the dyno, but for instance, my car revs until around 7500rpm, and i´ve heard that STI´s do 8000rpm

Apart from the intake manifold(seems factory red, not painted aftewards) there´s nothing else i can see that clearly indicates to me this is an sti engine(intercooler was upgrated to a bigger one, so was the turbo)...all i can find on the block is EJ20 stamped near the alternator.

Is there anything that one can see, that clearly states an sti engine? Like some sort of number on the engine or so? I googled a lot...and found little info on this.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by joaomn; 06 September 2015 at 08:28 PM.