Can't start sometimes.Nwe starter,battery and alternator

Search this Thread

Old 07 June 2015, 03:35 PM
kahoona
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't start sometimes.Nwe starter,battery and alternator

Hi
I am puzzled and hope someone here has already run into this and knows the answer.
My '97 2.5 Legacy Outback auto will not start sometimes. There is no response when the key is turned other than the usual displays on the dash. There is no click from the solenoid. This happens when I have been using it for short trips with A/C on. If I connect a charger to the battery it indicates that the battery is almost fully charged. If I top it off it will be fine for a little while. When it has this problem the lights are bright. Turning off the A/C can make it start sometimes. Starting it in neutral doesn't work either.
I suspected the starter. My regular mechanic said that that was the problem and replaced it. A week later I had the problem again. The mechanic said that I definitely had a bad battery and he replaced it. A week later same thing. I tested the alternator and found that it was OK in regular use but the voltage dropped under load. I had it tested and it did need replacement so I replaced it and the belts. A week later same problem. I should also mention that I replaced the gear position sensor (neutral safety switch) 6 months ago for another reason so it probably isn't that.
So what I have is that it is not connecting to the starter when the power is less than 100% or 12v. It should crank slowly even with a low battery. It really sounded like a bad solenoid but that is new. What else is there? I am missing something. It is frustrating. Please help.
Thanks
Old 07 June 2015, 04:58 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Could be ignition switch failure.
Could also be bad wiring.......on our Xantia starting was sluggish from cold despite a new battery and an alternator check. turned out the main lead from battery to starter via solenoid was so badly oxidised it had a huge resistance...it eventually got so hot it melted the solder on the connectors and almost caught fire.
Old 07 June 2015, 05:51 PM
kevo10
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check all the earths