Notices

Silicone y-pipe on standard car?

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2015, 12:09 AM
headrush
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silicone y-pipe on standard car?

Hi guys,

I noticed my OEM intercooler y-pipe is starting to leak, nothing weird for an old piece of rubber sitting in there for 16+ years. So, time for replacement.

I was thinking about some Samco silicone hoses (the standard and well known induction kit including three pieces), but I don't know if it's a good idea since the silicone y-pipe is known to allow for a better air flow into the turbo and I'm planning to keep my car standard in terms of engine/map. No other supporting mods or remap planned for the moment.

Would it be okay only to fit the silicone y-pipe (with the blow-off and i/c to throttle body hoses included on the kit, of course) without any other supporting mods or a remap? Is it valid just as a replacement part? Or will I be better going the OEM route and just replacing my old and tired y-pipe with an original, fresh item? Is there any advantage just by dropping the uprated silicone item versus the rubber hose, instead?

The car is running great and I don't like the idea of ruining its throttle response just because I don't know what I'm buying or simply because everybody seems to rave about silicone hoses on the net (but then again, most people has his car mapped with intake/exhaust mods). I've been looking through the forums but couldn't find the answer that suits my case...

The car is a Classic MY99 with 218 bhp as standard.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers!

Last edited by headrush; 03 June 2015 at 12:26 AM.
Old 03 June 2015, 05:26 AM
pete marshall
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the silicone version of the y pipe will not change the way your car performs, in fact it can only improve things if your old pipe is leaky.

when you fit the pipe power down the ecu and let it re learn when you first drive after fitment