Notices

HKS exhaust limits- super silent?

Search this Thread

Old 15 May 2015, 11:34 AM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HKS exhaust limits- super silent?

Ive been on the dyno with a car ive done a full build on, I won't go over the full spec but it should be hitting close to 500bhp with everything it's got on it, however we are hitting a wall at 1.6 bar and 420 bhp, the cars got a HKS super silent system on it, 3" bore but it tapers down alot inside the silencer.
Just wondered if anyone has any info on what these exhaust can do.
Its a built 2.5 by the way.
Old 15 May 2015, 11:42 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

when you say hitting a wall, will it not make more than 1.6 bar or is it even when you increase boost no additional power is created?

Full spec or more spec details might help, I take it your running a front mount intercooler yeah?
Old 15 May 2015, 12:27 PM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

2.5 cdb, 14mm studs
V8 sti heads with Supertech valves
V5 inlet manifold
rcm headers/uppipe
rcm turbo and intake pipe/filter std position turbo
1000cc injectors
swirl pot and external pump
3" downpipe
HKS supersilent 3" system
Japspeed frontmount, but pipework running from turbo clockwise around the engine bay

it will make more boost but as soon as the mapper (Steve Simpson) puts more boost in it just starts to det, His thoughts are that something in the setup is restricting the power/boost?
the same turbo on a 2.0 made 475 at 1.5 bar
the car is making good ftlb- 460, so we know the enigne etc is working, but just not getting the bhp?
Old 15 May 2015, 02:05 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

the STI heads - do you have AVCS hooked up on them?
Old 16 May 2015, 12:35 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

We are run several HKS Exhaust like Silent or Titanium Tip etc and on all of them we are made from 450-555.5bhp

On 2.1L we are run HKS Silent and HKS Titanium Tip from 452bhp to 490bhp plus NOS without the single issue there

Not sure why you are hitting the wall on HKS Silent as we run HKS exhaust on our wagon for while without the issue

On 2.35L we are run HKS exhaust too,but there we couldn't pass 490bhp due the restriction in Twisted up pipe not the exhaust,we are later run this same HKS Hi-Power exhaust at 555.5bhp and not issues at all,later on we are swapped for BuddyClub Spec IV with which we are made exactly same bhp on this exhaust.

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura
Old 18 May 2015, 10:31 AM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jura11
Hi there

We are run several HKS Exhaust like Silent or Titanium Tip etc and on all of them we are made from 450-555.5bhp

On 2.1L we are run HKS Silent and HKS Titanium Tip from 452bhp to 490bhp plus NOS without the single issue there

Not sure why you are hitting the wall on HKS Silent as we run HKS exhaust on our wagon for while without the issue

On 2.35L we are run HKS exhaust too,but there we couldn't pass 490bhp due the restriction in Twisted up pipe not the exhaust,we are later run this same HKS Hi-Power exhaust at 555.5bhp and not issues at all,later on we are swapped for BuddyClub Spec IV with which we are made exactly same bhp on this exhaust.

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura
Thanks for the info, my Customer has decided to take the car as it is as he needed it back. Bit of a shame as he wanted 450-500 and the spec should easily do it. The query I have with the exhust is althought it's 3" O.D. the internal bore of the silencer is just over 2", and I think it's holding it back? He is going to source a larger full system and map it again a few weeks, i'll let you know what happens.
Old 18 May 2015, 12:01 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wms-racing
Thanks for the info, my Customer has decided to take the car as it is as he needed it back. Bit of a shame as he wanted 450-500 and the spec should easily do it. The query I have with the exhust is althought it's 3" O.D. the internal bore of the silencer is just over 2", and I think it's holding it back? He is going to source a larger full system and map it again a few weeks, i'll let you know what happens.
Hi there

I know how is it,we are been on same boat when we are tried to find restriction or what causing the restriction

Yes is shame when you know this turbo should be making this power without the problem or when this turbo has make that power on 2.0L

I know we are run few HKS exhaust,on HKS Titanium Tip I think we are hit wall at 490bhp,Duncan tried everything,but he couldn't make more than that on 2.1L with MDX321T,not sure what power we are made with NOS and 20% meth,but I was suspecting we are been in 500bhp,but hard to say

Yes if he can borrow from someone 3" exhaust and try that,then you will know for sure what is causing the restriction

And about the internal diameter of the HKS is 2",I think we are run very similar from BuddyClub which has been designed in similar fashion,but has made 555.5bhp on 2.35L

Here is spec of the HKS Hi-Power Silent

http://www.hks-power.co.jp/en/produc...uffler/silent/

But when you are looking at EVO forums then,there guys saying,its restrictive on 500bhp,but guys running there at high 500-600bhp on same exhaust,hard to say

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura