Notices

Uk version 5 classic manual & torque value?

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2015, 06:33 PM
Paulgeorge01
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Uk version 5 classic manual & torque value?

Hi All,
Any idea where I can download a workshop manual for a MY99 UK spec version 5 classic, first of the rear thrust Ej 205 engine? Also looking to find out the correct torque values in newton metres or ponds per foot for mounting my standard Subaru 4pot front brake callipers to bearing housing (295 mm vented disks).
Just had to get helicoil done on calliper at £20 because stripped thread, had torque wrench set at 80 newton meters or 59 Lbs-ft, it went pop before it went click , nightmare, that is the torque for an 8.8 grade 12 mm bolt with a 1.25 thread pitch. Maybe the bolt is of lower grade, hence I need a manual.
Any help much appreciated, cheers in advance .
Old 26 April 2015, 08:02 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Two issues you will find here.

1. The 99-00 manual is nowhere on the net in the eight years I have been looking. And Subaru refuse to sell me one. There are loads of scattered manuals scanned to PDF for various model years in varying amounts of detail but none for the 99-00. You will find ones listed as 99-00 and then you will realize its the US version. So often refer to 8v and 16v non turbos. So all the engine, brakes, suspension electrical stuff is different. Then you will find the P1 supplement. This is just covering the P1 specifics and isn't much help.

2. Even when you do find the Subaru manuals it's well documented on the net that the torque values are often wrong! Yes that's right they translated the torque values wrong. This has lead to many people striping bolts.
Old 26 April 2015, 08:08 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Oh and I just did you a quick google search and this thread suggests you were right with 59lbft. Maybe the thread was already shot? Maybe the thread was dirty? Or maybe you were just unlucky? New bolts or used? Maybe your wrench is out of calibration?

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...ue-spec-75930/
Old 27 April 2015, 08:28 AM
Paulgeorge01
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheer for the information FMJ, your quick response is much appreciated mate.

In regards to the manuals I have found exactly what you have said to the word, hence the question, spot on https://www.scoobynet.com/images/smilies/thumb.gifI have an expensive Hayzet German torque wrench & an equally good quality Facom that I regularly check against each other; one is less than a year old so all good there. Also the other 3 took the torque, sods law, it’s always the last one!!! https://www.scoobynet.com/images/smilies/mad.gif

Like you say FMJ it was probably the previously fatigued threads in the calliper couldn't take the torque. I have owned my classic for 15 years & this is only the second set of callipers I’ve had on her. Over the years I have just reconditioned them with new seals, boots & C clips (twice now). I find if you give them a spray every 3 months with silicone grease behind boots & are using the car on a daily basis they last well.

Thanks for the link to confirm torque value, I have ordered a full set of new calliper bolts, banjo bolts & copper washers from ICP to do both sides so will change the lot out when get calliper back from machine shop today.

Cheers Paul.
Old 28 April 2015, 02:02 AM
gary77
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much did the new bolts and other bits cost ? I find icp a pain to search for bits on , the search function doesn't seem to work well unless you have a part number
Old 28 April 2015, 12:06 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, ICP has a ridiculous search engine.

Shame, as otherwise, I like the site.
Old 28 April 2015, 03:43 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

That's why you use this site to get part numbers.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/impre...m/front_brake/
Old 29 April 2015, 10:22 AM
Paulgeorge01
Scooby Regular

A pain right enough in regards to ICP search. Good information with the link from FMJ, cheers for that.

Gary front calliper mounting bolts cost £8 including vat for the 4.

2 calliper union/banjo bolts & 4 copper washers cost £6.61 including vat.

I haven’t got much experience on the site, what happened to my icon I put into my post? Lol.

When I dragged them into my post they have come up as links?

I clicked on advanced reply, dragged then in from the right hand side of the window to my text in the left hand side of the window. What I am doing wrong lol?